Author Topic: Chain adjust.  (Read 10802 times)

Offline lwg

• TURBO TYPER!
Chain adjust.
« on: March 14, 2005, 10:39:28 AM »
Under "normal" riding conditions, at what average mileage does a B12 chain need adjusted? I have 6400 miles on my '03 and haven't adjusted it yet or even checked it lately. It gets cleaned and lubed regularly.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Chain adjust.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 10:48:03 AM »
I'm a little surprised you haven't had to adjust it, but at 6400  miles, that will soon change!!! :lol:

As the chains wears/ages, you'll start adjusting it more frequently.
  You may be keeping wonderful care of your chain and you're eliminating all the wear from dirt, sand, and stuff by keeping it clean.....but I suspect you'll have to start adjusting it, soon.
  6400 miles without any adjustments doesn't sound 'right'.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Chain adjust.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 11:37:53 AM »
I use a Scott Oiler and adjusted my chain at about 2500 miles and again at about 11,000 miles.  In each case it was 1/6 of a turn or "one flat".  

I'm impressed with the original chain quality, my previous bike's chain was shot at 4K miles, even with care and cleaning.

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
Chain adjust.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 01:24:49 PM »
You can't set a mile-to-adjust.  It's as needed.  That said, the bulk of the stretch your chain will see has already happend.  I suspect your chain is currently way too loose if the bike has 6400 miles on it and you have really never adjusted it.  
I checked/adjusted mine at every service (as needed) starting with the 600 mile.  The chain and sprocket set lasted me something like 16,000 miles.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Chain adjust
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 05:32:24 AM »
I can't grasp what "normal" riding conditions are. Everyone does it a bit differently. I check my chain tension frequently, at least as often as I clean/lube it, which is 300 miles usually. But Manny hit it right on the money, adjustment is done on an "as needed" basis. Cleaning and lube is done on a periodic basis.

You pop on a new chain/sprkt setup and you have to do one or two quick adjustments as things settle in. Then adjustments (at least for me) are very infrequent for 10 K mi or so.

The fastest way that I have found to destroy a good chain is to run it too tight. I check my chain tension with the chain warm, with me sitting on the bike, and try to find the tightest section of the chain. If it is clearly too tight I will adjust it, carefully. If you carry passengers I would check it with a passenger aboard too.

Like Manny said, I adjust it as needed, but not that often. When frequent adjustments are required you will notice that the sprockets are getting worn, the bike surges and falls at steady low speeds, things just don't feel right.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Chain adjust.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 06:46:55 AM »
I oil and check my chain every second tank of fuel, and as you say Steve, I adjust as required, probably every 2500-5000km - depending on riding conditions, pillions etc.  In my experience I've found that if I'm having to adjust my chain every second tank of fuel (that's around 4-500km) then it's time to start saving for a new chain.

On the B12 I got 18,000km out of the oem chain and only replaced the front spocket, which I figure for a bike of this weight a power would be about right.

On my last bike (GSX600F - I believe they're called Katanas in the 'states) I got around 30,000km from the chain, but had to replace both sprockets.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Noonie

• TURBO TYPER!
Chain adjust.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 07:33:47 AM »
18,000 Km, that's about 12,000 Miles... My 1GB6 has done 19,500 Miles and still on its first chain. I was just checking the chain for if it needed adjusting and found a small kink between two of the links.
Based on the mileage put on the chain and the kink do you guys think I should go ahead and grab a new chain?

On first inspection the sprockets seem fine but I'll have another looky later but because of the mileage should I go all out and replace the sprockets too?

Thanks

Adam
'97 Suzuki Bandit 600
'00 Honda CG125 (dead)
'96 Honda CG125 (stolen) :crybaby:

Offline Jacknife

• Board Homesteader!
Chain adjust.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 01:25:31 PM »
If your going to replace your chain, its recommend to replace the sprockets. I did. did'nt look back.

Try this site for parts.
http://www.gear4bikes.com/acatalog/index.html
99' B6

Offline B6Matt

• Board Homesteader!
Chain adjust.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 11:14:09 PM »
I check my chain tension with the chain warm, with me sitting on the bike

Now THAT I would like to see.
'01 Bandit 600s in Blue (sold)
'02 Yamaha FZ1
'01 Suzuki DRZ 400e

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
no problem
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 11:49:50 PM »
If you can tie your shoes you can do this too.  :banana: All you have to do is keep as much body weight as possible on the bike and reach down and check the chain tension. This is much easier done with the left hand. Most folks can come close to guessing what an inch is (or 25.4mm if you prefer) and you can go from there. I usually put an index mark on a side plate at the tightest section so I can easily identify it, and to serve as a start/stop line for cleaning and lubing.

A lot of  premature chain/sprocket wear can be caused by bouncing the combined bike & rider weight against the chain when riding with the chain tension set so that the suspension does not have full travel without stressing the chain.

I am not advocating running the chain ridiculously loose, just not too tight.

Steve

Hey Noonie, I would loosen the chain, way loose. Lube the devil out of the bound up links and flex them vigorously back and forth until they loosen up a bit. Readjust everything and ride and check and rideand check. And start saving for your new chain & sprockets. You might still get some more life out of your current set up though. Maybe not?
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Noonie

• TURBO TYPER!
Chain adjust.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 07:19:33 PM »
Hey that seems like good advice Steve... I have the cash for a new chain and sprocket set now but I'll have a go at your suggestion and see what happens.

What's a typical life expectancy of a well looked after OEM chain?
'97 Suzuki Bandit 600
'00 Honda CG125 (dead)
'96 Honda CG125 (stolen) :crybaby:

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
life
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 08:06:59 PM »
Noonie,

I don't have my log with me but it seems that I got around 20k out of my stock chain & sprkt. setup, maybe a bit more. My riding includes lots of brisk starts, some compression braking and a few power wheelies here and there. I do have my own chain ritual and do it regularly. At the point that I replaced my final drive many would have gone longer, and some would have done it earlier.

I tend to shy away from terms like "normal" or "average" because I have seen stuff that someone thought was normal that was bizarre to me.

When you mess with your chain, look for physical signs of damage, if you have torn or missing O-rings (especially at the frozen links) your chain is pretty much done in.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Chain adjust.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 11:22:46 PM »
Having riden with Steve, I'd say our riding styles are similar, and sounds like out chain rituals are, too. FWIW, I only got 15K miles out of my OEM chain, but the DID VM that's on it now has >19K miles and is still looking good.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Chain adjust.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 11:36:21 PM »
From what I read here and in the owners manual the chain should be adjusted while on the side stand or with weight on it.  Have I been doing it wrong to use the centerstand??   :duh:   Sure is easier that way.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Chain adjust.
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 11:43:12 PM »
Yup, you've been doing it wrong. The swingarm sags down when on the C-stand.

I measure it on the kickstand, then put it on the C-stand to adjust, back to the K-stand to double check my work and readjust if need be.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)