Author Topic: Durn Parking Lights!  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Durn Parking Lights!
« on: May 17, 2006, 12:27:46 PM »
I am putting this under the 600/1200 category, but if it applies to the 650, etc. feel free to speak up:

The idiot useless emergency parking lights are a pain to this idiot useless rider.  First of all, they are not blinking hazard lights like cars have, they are just tailights.  (I think in the bright/brake mode.)  Second, it's too easy to turn them on by only slightly overshooting "off" when leaving the bike.  Third, if you walk away from the bike from the front, especially in daylight, you will not see they are on.  Fourth, if they can't sit for more than a couple hours without draining the battery, what's the freakin' use of the things?!

They have caused me problems three times.  (OK, like most things on this bike, *I* have caused me problems!)
--I left them on once all night in the garage.  Battery was discharged, but at least I was home where I could easily get it charged enough to start the bike and recharge.  And when I put the key in the ignition, I actually noticed that I had left it in the wrong position, so knew what was wrong.
--2nd time was at work, but I came out at lunch and noticed they were on and turned them off and the bike started with no problem.
--3rd time was last week.  Did not notice the key's position when I came out, so why the bike would not start was a mystery, especially when some things works (headlights) but not others (needle sweep).  Had to leave the bike parked overnight, then tow it to the shop...if I had known it was the battery, I could have taken it out overnight and charged it and brought it back the next AM and saved money and aggraviation.

All that is to lead up to:

--Does the position cause anyone else problems, or do I have a learning block?
--Can I disable this position?
--How would I have been able to determine it was the battery so I would have known to fix it myself?
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 12:38:19 PM »
-- It's never caused me a problem, but 99.9% of the time the only two positions my ignition sees is "ON" and "OFF" - I rarely use the steering lock and have only put it in "PARK" once, just to see the position worked.

-- Don't know if it can be disabled, never looked into it.

-- When the bike doesn't start, troubleshoot with the basics. No needle sweep should have been a clue there was an electrical problem, so the first step for troubleshooting that would be a voltage check - or try to jump it.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:41:30 PM »
I used to have that problem on my Savage all the time and it drove me crazy.  The key was down by my left leg so I would turn it off blind and sometimes it would go to the 'park' position...on a sunny day, I couldn't tell the rear light was on so I would go out and the battery would be dead.

I can't do that on my 650 - I have 'off' and 'on' and 'lock' and that's it!

Sorry I can't be of any help, Sven

But I am in agreement with you.  What the heck good is the stupid thing, anyway?  Has anybody ever used it?

jim

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »
jbrough7: I can't do that on my 650 - I have 'off' and 'on' and 'lock' and that's it!

That's because with the '04 & on models they got hazard lights. Probably ditched the "PARK" 'feature' then...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 01:26:27 PM »
I have "park" on my 04 along with the hazard lights, I'm with Paul though, I haven't ever used the lock or park option except to check that they work.
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:35:44 PM »
So you folks who never use your fork lock position just park on a public street and walk away?  Just leave it in gear and figure that's enough to make it too hard to steal?  I figure the fork lock helps keep people from moving the handlebars around too...don't want some idiot sitting on the bike going "varoom varoom" or dump the bike over bike moving it around.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:01:05 AM »
I generally don't leave my bike in unsecure areas very long if I'm not within eyesight or earshot of the bike. Parking @ work is pretty secure - as you might expect around an airport these days. When I go for rides, I'm usually only off the bike to dash into a store or eat a meal and when eating, I keep the bike in view. On overnighters, the bike is parked right outside the motel door.

And I try my best to avoid stopping in cities.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline broncbob

• Board Homesteader!
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 01:59:19 PM »
hate to say it, but look man! i have done this twice, once with my bandit and once with a zx6, after that i look every time! i make sure the postion on the key when i pull it out, and i walk around the bike to make sure!
i'm to young to go that slow!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 02:08:31 PM »
Quote from: broncbob
hate to say it, but look man!...i make sure the postion on the key when i pull it out, and i walk around the bike to make sure!

I know, it's just so easy to hop off the bike so I can run in and get working at my desk!!!  But seriously, it is just a matter of being sloppy in where I stop the key and not checking before I leave.  I have taken a marker and made a line where the keyhole should line up when I take the key out, just a tiny reminder that will help...until I forget and get lazy again.

Offline broncbob

• Board Homesteader!
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 03:49:31 PM »
well just rember if you drain the bat again, you can bump start it! id you find the right wires on the loom i bet you could wire it up to a buzzer, but that might get a bit on the anoying side if you ever have to use it( side of the high way when you just cant make it to the next rest stop to take care of the call of nature, to help bolt the part that just fell off of your buddys hog, smoke stop,and any other reason you stop at night)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 12:11:26 AM »
Quote from: broncbob
well just rember if you drain the bat again, you can bump start it! id you find the right wires on the loom i bet you could wire it up to a buzzer, but that might get a bit on the anoying side if you ever have to use it( side of the high way when you just cant make it to the next rest stop to take care of the call of nature, to help bolt the part that just fell off of your buddys hog, smoke stop,and any other reason you stop at night)

Bump start it?  You mean like a rolling start?  I can barely paddle walk this 500 pound whale, much less get it moving fast enough to pop it into gear!  Maybe if I were on a hill...

PS:  Friends don't let friends ride hogs.  But I do have a buddy with a Shadow.

Offline broncbob

• Board Homesteader!
Durn Parking Lights!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 02:41:42 AM »
well you could all ways get a few pals to give you a shove! just rember, high gear and grab the clutch when it pops! i can bump start my bros wing, so i know you and a pall can git er done!