Author Topic: Continuing Saga of Oil Burning Bandit  (Read 49492 times)

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
Continuing Saga of Oil Burning Bandit
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 01:14:21 PM »
Yeah now we're talking.  Now how do I go about installing the pistons?  In other words, how much will it cost to have someone do it for me?  I can't see myself being able to do this.

• Board Homesteader!
Just Spoke to the Dealer
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 04:42:19 PM »
OK so here is the deal.  I went to the local Suzuki dealer before to buy new spark plugs.  I told him my problem, that I rarely rode the bike last season, it sat for long periods without running, and it sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders.  He immediately said "carburetor has a gummed up needle."  Now this is where I would be curious to see what y'all think.

According to this guy, and it sounds legit, this has a lot to do with the type of gasoline sold in my area.  Not that it directly causes it, but his opinion is that the additives put in fuel in metropolitan areas has an adverse effect compared to fuel in more rural areas where additives might not be as plentiful.  Also the fact that in rural areas the riding is less stop and go and you burn fuel better and more economically because the engine is running which is what it is supposed to do.  The engine isn't engineered to idle and run, idle and run.  Supposedly the chemicals in the fuel can eat away at the float bowl needles and/or form a ring around the needle that causes it to stick when the fuel gets gummy.  He went as far as to say this happened in his own Suzuki even though he had added some stabil but still let it sit way too long.  He said his bike started pouring fuel out of the overflow tubes.  I told him as much as it ran like crap last year, it never did that.

His suggestion was to let them take the carbs off the bike, clean them and clean out the fuel tank.  He said it was a mostly labor intensive procedure and that the needles in the carbs would still be good to go.  They soak them in an acidic solution, clean them off, and set them up.  He said it would run about $250.  I'll also have them change the oil and check the plugs just to be sure if I have the work done.

When I mentioned that I was aware my bike had the "questionable pistons" he claimed that the real problem with those pistons lay in how the bike was ridden.  Those who saw a real oil consumption problem were riders who weren't necessarily suited for that type of bike.  They really should be on a cruiser and didn't treat the Bandit like a sport bike.  Now he said I could have the pistons replaced but that Suzuki is using the same exact piston as a replacement.  They stopped using a piston with a smaller oil port and went back to the same piston that is in there now.  I didn't quite understand how he put this to me and didn't bother to get into it.  At this point if I ever have a piston swap done, I'll be using Hole Shot high compression.  Might as well supe the biotch up right?

This sounds like it could be a legit solution.  I've had pretty much a 50-50 response from others I've asked who ride.  Some say carbs are gunked, some say the plugs are fouled from sitting or oil burning or whatever.  The story about the fuel chemical stuff was weird.  I've never heard that opinion before.

Offline '?'

• TURBO TYPER!
BS
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 05:25:46 PM »
2 letters: B         S
There's nothing sweeter than the feeling I get leaned over in a long sweeper while the sun shines over fields of wind-swept grasses and trees that bracket me, the bike, and the warm lovely sitting tightly against my back.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 08:33:25 PM »
Usually, if it's a gummed up problem, it's all four carbs, not just one.

I don't buy the rural/urban aditive theory. Now some parts of the country do require oxygenated fuel some or all the time due to the EPA and air quality issues, and this stuff does tend to go bad sooner than non-oxygenated fuel, but any of it starts to get iffy after it's been sitting over 30 days unless you put stabilizer in your gas.

As for how much will it cost you to have new pistons put in, I'd talk to some shops and see what they give for estimates. They should have a flat rate figured out for this, but I don't know what it is.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 08:27:55 PM »
Yeah I need to pull the plugs and see what's going on with them.  He said don't even try to start the bike but I may do that too.

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 01:27:06 AM »
Hey LongIsland I gotta go with Red and '?' on this one Yeah my bike was ridden in town alot but you don't put 24K on one in 4 years just stop and go. And as for the curiser crack..I think that man is on it!(CRACK) PLUS I'm sorry but he's full of it cause Suzuki IS NOT using the same piston. Call my dealer and ask..Competition Accessories 1-800-588-2434 They'll probably give you an ear full after what they've been through with mine. By the way my pistions have been replaced with Wiseco pistons.
 On a sadder note I no longer have the Bandit... I gave in and traded it off sunday while it was still on the rack without the head on. Hope you fellows will still let me hang out on this site cause I did worse then SpeedyTriple I went Italian. '01 Aprilia Futura, Staintune exhaust, upgraded EFI, carbon hugger fender and a 3 year unlimited mileage tire to tire warranty. After all the crap and the 3rd redo I just didn't think I could trust the ole Bandit  anymore.
 I sure hope you find someone to help you before you have to go thru what I did.
Terry Humphreys  No longer a Bandit owner
Terry Humphreys...No longer a Bandit owner
'06 FJR..stock for the moment....

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 01:31:41 AM »
:duh: Forgot to add this, my cost for year round insurance went down $94.00 a year because the Futura is a 1000 not a 1200!! Unbelievable!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 01:35:18 AM »
:congrats: Futura!
Just bums me out Aprilia's discontinued it.

If we let Speedy stay, there's no reason to deny you.  :motorsmile:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline '?'

• TURBO TYPER!
non-Bandit
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 12:34:45 AM »
I hope so because I own a fricken BMW.
There's nothing sweeter than the feeling I get leaned over in a long sweeper while the sun shines over fields of wind-swept grasses and trees that bracket me, the bike, and the warm lovely sitting tightly against my back.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Stick Around Terry.....
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 01:13:35 AM »
You'll always have some Bandit in your blood!!   :beers:  :beers:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline GaryB12VA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 10:58:04 AM »
:congrats: Terry

The Futura is a nice machine
'06 FJR 1300A

"The person who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person who is doing it"

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 10:59:07 PM »
Yeah I'm none too happy right now trying to figure out the best and most cost effective way of going about this.  On a crappier note, my buddy has an SV1000 and a TL1000 that he is repairing/customizing.  Neither will run right and both ran fine when he bought them.  They have both sat for so long without starting.  I believe they are both EFI too but I may be mistaken.

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2005, 01:03:35 AM »
:lol: The laugh is because I just changed the plugs on my son's '00 TL1000R and man it's a PITA :monkeymoon: You have to drain the radiator and take it off to get to the plug in the front cylinder!! No fun at all. Am waiting for the owners manual and service manual to find out if I have to go thru that with the Futrua! Got a little over 200 miles on it so far this week and gotta say it's funny but the Bandit seemed to have a little more grunt in the middle then this twin, but it sure do go nice :wink: Also nice to have all the adjustment on the suspension, made the better half happy when I softened up the rear shock tonight, She now doesn't think it's trying to throw her off!!

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2005, 06:18:32 PM »
Well my buddy got his SV 1000 to run correctly.  Somehow a gas can in his body shop that doesn't belong to them, but looks like their now missing can, had pre-mixed fuel in it.  He drained the tank and fuel lines, put fresh gasoline in the tank, started it up, and did 135mph down the parkway.  He said the wheel comes up rediculously easy, even at 90mph and/or in 4th gear.  All you need to do is whack the throttle and hold on.  He also said it'll do stoppies with no problem.  He took it past our friends automotive shop and for fun baked the rear tire like nothing.  He is scared of this bike and I'm waiting to ride it with nervous anticipation.

*EDIT*

OK so I took in El Bandito today, after all is said and done, the guy tells me he can't do an inspection because of my flush mounted rear turn signals.  I told them they were sold to me as DOT approved because they are clear plastic and an amber bulb.  He said regardless he couldn't inspect it because the boss won't risk his license.  He did say plenty of other places will do the inspection which I am aware of anyways.  Anyone ever hear of this?

I took the SV out for a run.  Way too fast!

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2005, 11:37:33 PM »
:duh: Here's a little update on my sOLD Bandit. Just found this out last weekend...seems the dealer sold it to a guy somewhere around my town (I haven't seen it yet) and he got a fair deal, bags and all. But 2 weeks ago the dealer had a Open House along with one of those "Dyno Drag" things and the guy with my old bike shows up, he puts 'er on the dyno and blows away a 'BUSA... the sales people are going NUTS cause they know the motors not been broken in well yet. Then the guy decides to go from 1/4 mile to 1mile race and the sales people are takin' bets as to when it will blow!!! :shock:  It didn't and he rides 'er home. I gotta find this guy and see if she still lives!