Author Topic: Crankshaft Servicing  (Read 2691 times)

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Crankshaft Servicing
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:48:59 AM »
Hi all,
I have an '01 Bandit engine apart that has spun its #1 rod bearing. Just "one of those things" as it has plenty of oil pressure and a clear path for oil to the bearing.
Since the engine was run for awhile after the rod knock was heard, the bearing is foil thin, the rod was burned and mishapen, and there is damage to the crank throw. Replacing the rod and bearings is not adequate as the roughened crank bearing surface will kill the engine in a matter of minutes.

My question - Can y'all provide me with a source for crankshaft repair? I have been recommended to APE of Burbank CA but was hoping for a supplier closer to the deep south. The owner of this machine is unemployed and we're trying to keep costs down and sell this Bandit to support his household.

Help? Thanks in advance!
Marc/Atlanta

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
crank
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 02:08:39 PM »
Try to find a local machine shop with a good rep.  Get the specs from Suz to see what the tolerances are.  If you grind, you will probably need to get some type of oversize bearing.  The local Suz parts guy should be able to help.

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Crankshaft Servicing
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »
APE: http://www.aperaceparts.com/
They have done several cranks for me. For a while I was going though one a year, dragracing.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Crankshaft Servicing
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 11:08:48 AM »
Thanks gang - appreciate the responses. Comparing APE to Falicon, I lean to the latter as they're factory approved and much closer. Prices are about the same but shipping from Atlanta to Clearwater FL will be a bit cheaper than Burbank CA. Looks like $289 to weld and recut.
Marc/Atlanta

Offline Big Jay

• Board Regular!
Crankshaft Servicing
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 02:53:18 AM »
Quote from: 99er
Thanks gang - appreciate the responses. Comparing APE to Falicon, I lean to the latter as they're factory approved and much closer. Prices are about the same but shipping from Atlanta to Clearwater FL will be a bit cheaper than Burbank CA. Looks like $289 to weld and recut.
Marc/Atlanta

And then balance it?  The balance will be off after you have the crank welded on.

Jay

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Crankshaft Servicing
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 09:31:42 AM »
Thanks Jay,
Yes, that is a part of the service. Fairly good price for grinding a journal, welding it large and recutting/balancing.