Author Topic: Improved Fuel Mileage  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
Improved Fuel Mileage
« on: May 11, 2006, 10:22:10 AM »
I just checked my mileage again and found that, just by installing a Holeshot stage 1 jet kit and ignition advancer, my mileage has increased to consistent 44 MPG.  My test loop includes 12 miles of urban street, 8 miles of 70 -80 MPH freeway, and 68 miles of rural 2 lane fast roads.  My base settings are Main Jet: 107.5, Needle: 4 shims, Air Box: stock with hole per Dale's instructions, Pilot Screws: 3.5 turns out.  Exhaust is stock.  Starting and warm up are much better.  Throttle response is immediate.  Mid range torque seems stronger.  The biggest surprise was the increased fuel mileage!!  I am not taking it easy either!  I probably would get even better mileage if I could just ride at posted speeds and avoid hard acceleration but that doesn't seem likely but I am happy to have better performance on a quiet bike and with better mileage too.  Has anyone else found a good set up for mid-range performance and fuel mileage?
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline nuttyprof1

• TURBO TYPER!
question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 10:58:08 PM »
I am thinking of doing the same mods. I have a stock exhaust. Did you change the pilot jet? Fastlarry suggests putting in a 27.5 pilot jets as one of the best mods one can do. Or di you just change the main? and did you mean four extra shims on each needle?
Thanks in advance

Offline texasbandit

• Board Homesteader!
Improved Fuel Mileage
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 03:32:46 PM »
I have a '97 1200 with a Dale Walker Stage II, 5 degree advancer and D&D bolt on can that is finally spot-on.  I messed with the set up over the past 4 years and could never get it right.  I had a bad stumble at 3,000 - 3,500 rpm.  So when a friend dropped by this week we decided to pull the carbs and start with the initial set up.  Dale Walker recommended 150 mains, 35 pilots, needle in the center slot with no shim, and 3 1/2 turns out.  (That was my original set up when the bike had other stumble and over-rich issues.)  Guess what?  No stumble, pulls much harder, and my milage which was NEVER better than 33 jumped up to 44!  Go figure?  It may have been that the engine had so few miles on it when I first put the kit in, but other than that I can't determine why it is running so good now when it didn't to begin with.

As far as 4 shims?  I think one per needle - 020 generally, but I remember with stock exhaust, stock needles, and an airbox mod you can go to an 060 shim if needed.  (in place of a needle with multiple slots)
1997 GSF1200S  (The tinkerbike)
2003 FZ1 Bumblebee (Almost stock)

Censorship causes Blindness

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
Improved Fuel Mileage
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:30:48 AM »
I have stock pilot jets but have enriched the pilot circuit by opening the pilot screws to 3.75 turns out.  The midrange is enriched by placing 4 shims under each needle (16 shims total used).

I read the dyno charts and saw that aftermarket pipes increase power mainly in the higher RPM ranges.  The charts show that they also offer some improvement in the lower and mid ranges but similar results can be achieved with jetting and a stock pipe.  I spend 90% of my time in the midrange and I am willing to forego a few extra HP on top in exchange for a relaxing ride with effortless power in the midrange.

My advice if you want strong midrange in a quiet bike is to install the Holeshot Stage 1 jet and ignition advancer kit and airbox mod exactly as per Dale's written instructions.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit

Offline El Bandito

• Board Homesteader!
link?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:34:34 PM »
yo dave..
interesting .. this I have not heard of.. (yeah, i'm a noob)

can you post a link to said written instructions?

i spend most of my time in the midrange too, and dont want to do a pipe mainly cuz i dont feel like spending the cash ;/
-some dreams do come true.

97 B12 SA (ABS)
Progressive 420 rear
Race Tech springs
Holeshot can
Stage 2
5˚ Ign. Advance
16 tooth front sprocket
MRA Vario screen
heated grips ;)
Corbin Gunfighter

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
Improved Fuel Mileage
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 12:17:55 AM »
The instructions come with the Stage 1 jet kit.  It includs jets, shims, a 5 degree ignition advancer and gasket, new allen screws for the float bowls, and instructions for airbox modification and jet kit installation.  Address is Holeshot.com.

Good luck.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit