Author Topic: B6 Carb cleaning  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Paragliding

• New user!
B6 Carb cleaning
« on: April 18, 2005, 06:18:08 PM »
I am having problems withe my Bandit 600 not running right. I have eliminated everything as being the problem except dirty carbs.
I took them apart (partially).  By that I mean I took the top off where the diaphram is, and I took the bowl off.  I sprayed carb cleaner in any orifice/passageway that I saw.  After putting the carbs back together, it still runs crappy.  

What can I do different?  Do I need to take them apart piece by piece?  I was hoping what I did was sufficient, but I guess it wasn't.

Anyone who's had the carb apart, please chime in here.  I'm getting desperate, and I don't want to take it to the dealer and pay them $50 an hour to work on it.

Thanks in advance!

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
B6 Carb cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:50:07 PM »
It might be the idle or pilot jets.  They're the smallest jets in the carburetors and easily clog up with gasoline varnish or resin.

I can recommend a "short cut" way to clean them that is easily tried and minimally invasive to the fuel system.

Remove the fuel line from the petcock and drain the float bowls by loosening the drain screws on the float bowls.  You don't need to remove them, just loosen a turn or so and let them drain.

Tighten the drain screws up and fill the carbs with Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner until the fuel line is full to the top.  Let the stuff sit in the float bowls for a day or two to dissolve  the varnish.  

Drain the bowls and fuel line again and recommect the fuel line to the petcock and use the PRIME position to refill the float bowls with gasoline.

Start her up and go for a ride -- everything should be better and it should run cleanly.

Other brands of carb or fuel system cleaner might work just as well, but I've NEVER had a bad experience with Techron.  It should be available from most auto parts stores.  

Yamaha markets a similar product with similar instructions on the can that might work just as well -- don't know, never tried it.

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
B6 Carb cleaning
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:36:50 PM »
Thats a smart suggestion Ray. I never would have thought of that. I maybe can use that on my boat motor.

Offline Paragliding

• New user!
fixed
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 03:12:17 PM »
Thanks so much for that suggestion.  It worked perfectly.   That little bottle of Techtron cost me $5.  

The local dealer wanted $280 to clean the carbs.......

Offline Jacknife

• Board Homesteader!
B6 Carb cleaning
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 03:49:41 AM »
Right try that in the UK, and you will find it cost that £280 in pounds, At todays exchange. Feel like cleaning my carbs just for the hell of it, as doing it my self would be very cheap!
99' B6

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
B6 Carb cleaning
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 10:06:29 AM »
TECHRON, nectar of the GODS!

Danged if it almost doesn't work miracles!   I've been adding to both bikes occasionally. :bigok:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......