Author Topic: Crazy clicking/ticking soud  (Read 8312 times)

Offline BanditDave

• Board Regular!
Crazy clicking/ticking soud
« on: May 22, 2005, 04:41:05 AM »
Recently, I noticed a clicking noise coming from my bike.  My first thought, was that it was my valves, which were due for a adjustment.  I had my valves adjusted and mentioned the clicking.  The shop told me the clicking could be vlaves or maybe my cam tensioner.  Well, I got my bike and the clicking is still there.  Its really loud when my bike is cold and as my bike warms up it gets faster and quieter.  For some reason, I've been thinking this could be an exhaust leak.  As I mentioned in a previous thread, my exhaust header is really dark with rust in some spots.  Anyone have an idea about what this could be?

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »
Do all the necessary preventive maintenance to remove each as a cause. You didn't say what bike you have and what mileage. I'd remove the exhaust and mount replacement gaskets. When you remove it, look at the sealing area. If it was leaking, there WILL be dark sooty blowby on the pipe on that cylinder. The new seals and a retorque will eliminate that as a cause.

You can easily adjust your cam chain tension and should now and again. Takes all of 5 minutes on a cold engine.

If you like, remove the left side cover and check to make sure the start gear is not loose.

Change the oil and filter and then reassess the noise.

The old GSXR motor is generally noisy. Part of its "most excellent" personality.
Marc/Atlanta
'99 B12

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 03:52:31 PM »
My 2003 Bandit 1200 developed a slightly noisy ticking sound at idle and when cold around 13K miles.  Since I usually ride in a touring mode and keep the RPM under 5K I figured it was a loose cam chain adjuster, which is "automatic" on my bike.

After warning the bike up I took to about 7500 RPM to see if the adjuster might take up some slack at elevated speeds.  It worked!

I've seen this before on a Honda Nighthawk 750 so I thought it might work on the Bandit.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 04:23:59 PM »
Usually, exhaust leaks will show themselves without the need for disassembly of the system. Look for the tell-tale sooty streaks previously mentioned on the pipes themselves. You can also start up the bike and run your hand close to the pipes and the head fittings and feel for any leaks. Try it at idle first and if you come up with nothing, try higher rpms.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline BanditDave

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 07:45:12 PM »
sorry, i always forget to to mention my bike, its a 2000 B6 w about 27k on it

Offline Vee Dub Nut

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 09:24:56 AM »
Ive got a 96 B6 with 28k

It gets a little noisy from time to time, So far I have just chalked it up to being the old oil/air cooled engine quirks. I have tried a bunch of other things and cant find anything wrong, it still runs great, so i quit looking for problems. I have noticed that the ticking will change when i try different types and weights of oils. Mine byfar loves Hondas HP4 synthetic blend 10w40 over anything else i have tried. Mine only makes noise at low rpms after it is good and warmed up.

Hope that helps
Adam in College Station Texas

1996 Bandit 750s - SOLD!
1998 Bandit 1200s - SOLD!
2000 VW GTi GLX
1967 VW Beetle* slight modifictations