Author Topic: using more oil than ususal  (Read 2810 times)

Offline kiley

• TURBO TYPER!
using more oil than ususal
« on: August 06, 2005, 11:20:13 PM »
Hey all.  I have a question for you all.  I have noticed that my 04 bandit is using more oil than before--which was none-.  This corresponded with me putting my Yoshi exhaust on.  Is this a coincidence or is there a reason?
Kiley

:annoy:
Be the change you wish to see in the world!!

04 1200S

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: using more oil than ususal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 12:10:52 AM »
There is no reason you should be using oil from the exhaust change unless you are over reving and hurt it! But if you aren't checking it on the hard stand the bike is going to lean more to the left (now you got that big thing off!!) away from the oil window than before, if you do the balance thing on the tires! I know you are probably saying where is this guy from? :roll:  sorry but its always good to get an answer. No other reason i know of and i've installed a few! Another thing is don't run the oil level too hi on a bandit, on the hard stand level at the top line (cold ) is where i run mine. it will show more after 5 min sitting hot. too much is worse than a bit low! too much and it will be pushed out the vent tube into your airbox and should be drained out the hose below your exhaust. by the oil window. let me know if this helps.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 01:07:03 AM »
Actually, the owners manual says to check it a few minutes after shutdown when the oil is warm, on a level surface, holding the bike upright. If you fill to the full line on the centerstand, with warm oil a few minutes after shutdown, you'll be too full. If you do it right after shutdown on the centerstand, you're even more overfull. Engines tend to burn or vent excess oil, so if you're not checking it right you could be adding oil for no reason.

The simple addition of the exhaust won't increase oil consumption, but if you're riding it harder to enjoy the new music, it might.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline kiley

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 10:34:32 AM »
Well, to be honest, I do ride a bit harder than before--can't help it-it just sounds sooo good.  Actually, I rode just as hard before--wind therapy is awesome...I do check it with the bike on the center stand and cold.  My only ohter change is I started using full Synth oil on my last oil change-incidently, my bike has only 5200 mi on it.  I have already had to add at least one whole extra quart--legitamitely--like- no oil showing in the window at all-within the last 2000 miles.  I didn't have do do this duirng initial break in during the first 1500-2000 miles or so.  It is just weird...Thanks for replying.  Keep riding--there is still plenty of time left...

Kiley :grin:
Be the change you wish to see in the world!!

04 1200S

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 11:28:50 AM »
Quote from: "kiley"
Well, to be honest, I do ride a bit harder than before--can't help it-it just sounds sooo good.  Actually, I rode just as hard before--wind therapy is awesome...I do check it with the bike on the center stand and cold.  My only ohter change is I started using full Synth oil on my last oil change-incidently, my bike has only 5200 mi on it.  I have already had to add at least one whole extra quart--legitamitely--like- no oil showing in the window at all-within the last 2000 miles.  I didn't have do do this duirng initial break in during the first 1500-2000 miles or so.  It is just weird...Thanks for replying.  Keep riding--there is still plenty of time left...

Kiley :grin:
Hey your killin her with kindness!! @ 5k she isn't close to being broke in yet!!! Synth lube &%$$@ hear bad stuff about it all the time. Its not needed in my opinion unless you are running extreme! 32k with 15-40 Delo every 2k, cams and inside eng looks & sounds like new! 0 oil usage!!