Author Topic: Fuel pool in airbox....  (Read 4089 times)

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel pool in airbox....
« on: April 07, 2005, 01:33:18 AM »
Hello guys listen to this story....

My bike has been having poor gas mileage and has been running just crappy lately. When taking off from first it tends to just die on me like it's running out of gas. Recently I was riding about in 3rd gear and I started losing power to the point where I had to shift down to 1st gear just to keep the bike moving. I told my friend about this and he told me to go over the house so he can check and clean the carbs out.

I go over to his house and we take off the gas tank.........We opened the airbox to check the filter and a crapload of gas starts pouring out of the airbox. My eyes popped out of my head and so did my friends lol. My filter was basically soaked in gas and there was a little puddle in the airbox. We soaked up the fuel and let the filter dry.......once I got the bike started again it felt and ran like a totally differen't bike. No more sputtering, no more lag fromt he throttle and the engine just ran waaay wayy better. My friend believes I left the petcock set on "Prime" and it flooded the carbs to the point that the fuel leak into the airbox. He thinks that's why the bike was running so crappy because it was running extremely rich.

Could leaving it on "Prime" or riding it in the "Prime" position do something like this? I sure hope it was my dumb ass mistake and the issue is corrected. The bike sure does run sweet right now. Any comments guys? Your opinions would really help me out.
" A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he lies to me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see." -Bill The Butcher

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel pool in airbox....
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 01:42:17 AM »
I did a little research and I guess you could flood the engine with it set on "PRI". Damn I can't really say that I left it on Prime but ya never know.
I'll keep you guys posted on how it's riding. Hopefully the problem is solved.
" A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he lies to me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see." -Bill The Butcher

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Fuel pool in airbox....
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 02:47:08 AM »
If gas is leaking into the airbox or engine from being left in "PRI" then you have a float, float leavel or float needle & seat problem. The float system should shut fuel off when the floats reach their shut-off level.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel pool in airbox....
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 09:56:50 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
If gas is leaking into the airbox or engine from being left in "PRI" then you have a float, float leavel or float needle & seat problem. The float system should shut fuel off when the floats reach their shut-off level.

My friend thought the same thing so he lol....this will sound funny but he tapped each carb a little to try to jar any stuck components. He said if a bike has been sitting for a good while without being started that dried up fuel and make things stick.