Author Topic: gear question  (Read 5636 times)

Offline 03banditn

• New user!
gear question
« on: October 25, 2005, 05:41:10 PM »
which would be easier and,or cheaper to install going 1 down on the front sprocket or going 3 up on the rear sprocket. thanks.

Offline B12NScott

• Board Homesteader!
gearing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 12:38:28 AM »
probably 1 down in the front.  Cheaper,  quicker to install and you can probably use the same chain.   :grin:
2K B-12S
2K5 DRZ 400s Dirt/SM

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
gear question
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 03:15:41 PM »
Front is probably cheaper
Rear much easier IMO

B12NScott is right about needing a longer chain if you do the rear, BUT you should always replace the chain when doing sprockets anyway unless it's still nearly new.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline JayRo

• TURBO TYPER!
gear question
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 11:10:39 PM »
With cost not being a determining factor.  What would be better? 1 down in the front, or 3 up in the rear? And would 112 links be sufficient for 3 up in the rear?  I try as much as possible to stay off the highways.  Driving around Atlanta for 10 years has made me pretty touchy about being on my bike around town.

Offline JayRo

• TURBO TYPER!
gear question
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 11:23:44 PM »
Sorry, what I meant by better is which option would give you a greater chain life and/or performance if any?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
gear question
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 12:30:51 AM »
Actual performance between the two is virtually the same:

14/45 = 3.214

15/48 = 3.200

Theoritically, the 15/48 would give longer chain life, and a 112 link chain will be fine. In practice, how you treat your chain will probably have a much bigger impact on chain life. From the reports on chain life I've seen come across the boards I frequent, folks with 14T sprockets get just as much life out of their chains as the 15T folks.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline JayRo

• TURBO TYPER!
gear question
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 09:26:30 AM »
Thanks Red, you are certainly a wealth of knowledge.  I'll probably go down a tooth in front so I could stay with 110 links.  I'd rather stay with as short a chain length as I can.  I guess my line of reasoning was a theoretical calculation of less pressure per tooth on an increased diameter rear sprocket.  Thus an increased life of your components.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
gear question
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 08:02:07 PM »
Your theory is on the right track, it's just the difference is pretty small.
It might be more measurable if the chain was running in an oil bath, but out there in the elements, the evirnment and how you care and clean it have much larger impact on life.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
gear question
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 11:15:08 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Your theory is on the right track, it's just the difference is pretty small.
It might be more measurable if the chain was running in an oil bath, but out there in the elements, the evirnment and how you care and clean it have much larger impact on life.

For sure! So, why aren't motorcycle manufacturers making fully enclosed chain guards any more? I recall that a few German makers installed these on their bikes (e.g.: Zundapp and the wacky little NSU 250's from Neckarsulm)? I have a Rudge bicycle dating back to 1950 with a totally enclosed chain on it, and i've never had a problem with that chain or the sprockets. Every other ferrous piece on this bike has rusted, but not the chain or sprockets!  

Kick their ass and take their gas!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
gear question
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 11:21:10 AM »
For the repli-racers, it's more weight, bigger hassles during wheel and/or gearing changes. For others it's probably an appearance thing.
. . . plus it sells parts!  :banana:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tcqajaq

• First Post! Be Gentle!
    • http://theredbandit.blogspot.com
One down in front.....
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 01:45:34 PM »
I dropped a tooth on my front cog and got mixed results.  Yes, you will increase torque and the bike feels a little more like a rocket.  But, unless you don't ride very often, you will be replacing chains and sprockets often.  I was warned before I made the switch and did it anyway.  That was at the beginning of last summer.  I am replacing my sprockets and chain after one season of riding.  The chain stretched way out.  I was able to pull wheelies easier though.
One other downside was gas miliage goes down and your speedometer won't work anymore.  I had to go buy a little bike computer which proved to be cool because it recorded my top speed every day, mpg, trip, etc.  That is another thing.  The top speed of my 2000 GSF600, after dropping one tooth, was 121 mph.  It is otherwise a stock bike.  Also, just going 55, the bike is buzzing about 6000 rpm.

I am switching back to the 15t.  I could have spent the 200 dollars on jets or something,  instead of a chain.

Thats just my 2 cents.
Matthew Keller

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
Re: One down in front.....
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 03:51:40 PM »
Quote from: "tcqajaq"
I dropped a tooth on my front cog and got mixed results.  Yes, you will increase torque and the bike feels a little more like a rocket.  But, unless you don't ride very often, you will be replacing chains and sprockets often.

I have 12,000 miles on my 14 tooth and chain and this combination has lasted almost as long as the stock chain and sprockets. I am here to tell ya I am no chain cleaning nazi either.

My rational for the front is simple, if I take a long trip I put the 15T back on as the 14T puts the interstate speed smack dab in the 4200rpm vibration range.
The sprocket cover is simple to remove andit is one nut (albeit without proper tools can be a bitch) to take off.

Yes I have read about the countershaft spinning faster and wearing out but I haven't heard of anyone it actually happened to.
97 1216 Big Bore, Gixxer intake, with
Holeshot commemorative figurine with kung fu grip, Red
12 volt Dewalt drill, Yellow,
Moen bathroom faucets, Chrome

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
gear question
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 09:31:14 PM »
There is actually an Engineering Theory that the more front teeth you have on your bikes front sprocket, the easier it is on the chain due to a larger wrap angle.

It has been a while since I read the article but the ideal combination was not possible on the B-12 as 16 teeth is as large as you can go on the front and even then you have to grind some of the sprocket cover off.

From my experiance any changes you make to the stock gearing will change the overall ridability on your bike, not to mention screwing up your speedo if you have a 2nd gen Bandit.

IE; Increase the rear sprocket size will increase city fun, but will kill your highway comfort, as rev's increase substantially. If anything I would go up a tooth on the front, but most of my riding is highway riding.