Author Topic: Opinions on chain/sprockets.  (Read 4531 times)

Offline bandit0914

• New user!
Opinions on chain/sprockets.
« on: August 02, 2006, 07:25:22 PM »
I'm up for replacing the chain, again. Was wondering after researching online if anyone had any problems or opinions on the set up I'm thinking about.
Going with a Suzuki front sprocket, a JT carbon steel rear sprocket, and a D.I.D. 530ZVM2 chain. Thanks for any input you may have.

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 07:47:12 PM »
If you are doing the work yourself , I would suggest the EK SRX x-ring chain. They make a master link that you put together with 2 nuts that flairs that pins in the link. You don't need any special tools and it is easy to install.

Offline bandit0914

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 08:00:33 PM »
Was going with the D.I.D. 530ZVM2 chain because its' one of the strongest chains on the market. Rated up to 1300cc's. Also I have a good relationship with shop and I'm getting a deal on the work, so I don't have a problem with the installation or tools.

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 02:05:37 AM »
the front sprocket is a good choice to go oem. I hear that the aftermarket ones are loud on this bike
01 1200s

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 04:43:19 AM »
I hear the stock front sprocket is an absolute must! You will get a very annoying whine from an aftermarket front sprocket as the stock sprocket is the only one I have found that comes with the sound dampening rubber.

I can tell you not to by an RK X ring. I replaced mine about 16000 km ago, with an RK as the much loved DID was not available at the time at my local shop.

Now I have a Pro Oiler on my Bandit, and I know that this chain was well lubricated every second of its life, but it has developed a tight spot in one area. (Close inspection of the X rings and links show almost new condition). While the chain is running on the bike, imagine holding an elastic band between two fingers & stretching it slightly, this is what the chain looks like running on the bike. This happened suddenly and abruptly. (I believe this is refered to as elongation)

I am very anal at keeping my chain serviced (I regularily check tension, and with the Pro Oiler, the chains is very clean & well lubed at all times.

I have never in my life seen a motorcycle chain do this ever. I will never again buy an RK chain.

I will be shoping for a DID shortly.

Not only is the DID rated the strongest, it is also has the lowest friction rating of any chain (according to DID)

You can read about it at their site.

http://www.didchain.com/xring1.htm

Offline bandit0914

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 08:37:13 AM »
Imagine riders giving props for an oem front sproket. Honestly half the reason I purchased it was to see what all the fuss was about the rubber part.
As for the chain, the last one installed was an Rk X ring and I was dissapointed in tight spots and streaching.  That brought on my quest for a solid final drive.
I've ordered the Jt steel rear sprocket and recieved it on Friday. Seems like a pretty hefty piece of metal that should be able to last. I'm sure some will say that there is a weight issue coming down to performance but I have a Bandit not a Busa.
Ordered the chain earlier and should have completed by the end of the week.

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
new chain for B12
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 01:03:10 PM »
I just installed a new DID ZVM x2 chain and aftermarket front and rear sprockets on my 05 B1200s. The link is riveted. I don't hear any noise coming from the front sprocket and it's not the Suzuki OEM.

Do the aftermarket front sprockets make noise from the get go? Or do they get noisy after break-in:?:

I sure was tempted to get an EK chain and use that screw type link. But it seemed that the consensus on this BBS was that the riveted link was superior in strength and the best way to go if you want to be absolutly sure the chain will not break.

Lucas

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 08:22:45 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I'll try here first, if I don't here anything then I'll repost.

Question: Do you have to replace sprokets when you replace the chain?

I've got 22,000 miles on my 02 1200 and I'm about to install my third chain. I'm a little disappointed with the performance of the second chain. I bought the bike used with 6,000miles and I can't be sure how the bike was handled in those first miles. I know how I ride and while I like to make the bike pull hard of the line I have never done a slip clutch wheelie. Once in a while I loft the front a few inches but nothing excessive. This current chain (brand?) only has 6000 miles and it's stretched and binding a little. The sprockets look good. there's still a flat spot at the tip and the bottom is even and round.

Sproket's Y N?

I'm going DID C$210
Do or do not, there is no try.  
-Yoda

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 07:26:20 AM »
I would say yes,sprockets and chain at the same time.
  At the begining of last year I tried a Tsaumi O-ring chain,its still holding up well. Just cleaned it last weekend and no tight links yet.Hardly ever needs adjusted. Like bazza said,I've tried RK,and didn't seem to last too long. Also have a EK race chain for my track gearing,lighter and cheaper. No O-rings,just run it till it wears out. Not sure how long it last,but doesn't matter,just use it on the track days.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 10:39:13 AM »
Ok on the DID x ring! But i bet almost all chain that are close to the rating the B12 needs, that don't make the grade of durability? is because of miss adjustment, or lack of care! Close to 20k miles is about tops with great care, 15 and its abused. The biggest killer is running em too tight!!! Best place to buy em i found! Look on the left side of the list there is a misprint on the 530x... http://www.kgmotorcycletires.com/d_i_d_racing_chain.htm

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 11:50:04 AM »
Go with DID ZVM. It is worth every extra bit you pay in longevity. I have 15,000 miles on mine with lack of care and with the 1216 trying to stretch it.
I have been very pleased.
97 1216 Big Bore, Gixxer intake, with
Holeshot commemorative figurine with kung fu grip, Red
12 volt Dewalt drill, Yellow,
Moen bathroom faucets, Chrome