Author Topic: gsxr 1100 cam swap.  (Read 11955 times)

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
gsxr 1100 cam swap.
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »
what are the gains on a b12 motor

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
Re: gsxr 1100 cam swap.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 10:45:08 AM »
scratch that.... I finally found a tread about it. sorry for the post.

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
  • Tighten it 'til it Loosens then back-off 1/4 turn
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »
I'll reiterate my experience here on this subject, for anyone who might be interested.

I found the intake cam off a 1988-89 GSXR750 to be the hot set-up. You can use the 1100 also, but the 750 cam is hotter, and the addition of an exhaust cam will shift your powerband up higher.. changing the lovely nature of our wonderful mid-range OOmph.

Problem for me was that I didn't LIKE the change; suddenly my B12 was much FASTER toward the top-end.. where I actually didn't prefer it. (and it WAS faster, up there). I found myself cresting 100mph far more easily... a problem if you like your license.
So i went back to the stock B12 cams. The power-spread there is simply delicious...

ESPECIALLY with the JE 1216 kit! My bike puts out 119 hp and 84 lbs of torque on Ivan's dyno.. simply perfect for the weight and configuration of my bike.

Actually, after lots of experimentation, i feel i have the optimum tuning for my B12.. fits me like a glove, nothing left to DO with it but RIDE...and I now know every damn bolt in the thing.
Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles

Offline captnhooks

• Captn Hook's Paint & Rescue LLC
  • TURBO TYPER!
  • Surrender Your booty!!
    • CaptnHooksPaintandRescue
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
Ive heard alot of remarks behind the cam swap. I will be doing the 1216 as well when the old girl decides its time!!
Keep the sticky side Down and the Shinny side up!! STAY SAFE!!!
2000 B12 with a CHPR paint job

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
Welcome Captn Hooks!
yes, the 1216 kit is a nice up-grade. I suggest you refrain from changing the cams until you try the bore kit, as you may decide you don't really need different cams. I found the (intake cam) change made my bike overly "peaky".. while the normal powercurve is just fine for street and highway riding.

One other thing; after I changed to the 1216 I found I had plenty of low-end, so I went UP one tooth on the front sprocket, which now makes the bike feel like it has a sixth gear, AND it still does off-the-wrist wheelies from stoplights! BUT.. you have to file or grind a little off the mounting boss inside the sprocket cover.. (you can see what I mean easily if you remove it). Not a big deal... relieved a couple of MM's and the 16 sprocket cleared fine.
Otherwise you can go DOWN a couple of teeth in back. A nice fix! Raises your top-end and highway fuel mileage, with little change to the bottom end.
Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles

Offline captnhooks

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Surrender Your booty!!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »
 Hey thanks bud!! Been stealing idea off the board for years and Thought why dont I just join!! LOL yeah Ive done the one up on the stock motor, K&N  with Yosh shorty Love the RPM at speed now. gained Fuel mileage as well, but since I dropped new unmolested carbs on it , been playing the guessing game with where they need to be set!! LOL I indeed need a jet kit cause it has the stock air filter back in so it will at least run with out the lean stumble. 

I feel kinda bad commenting on such old posts!!  Sorry for bringing back the dead!! :duh:

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »
No sweat... I'm sort of a Rerun here... haven't done many posts, although my life has revolved around my B12 for a few years now!

JET KITS-
I;m sure others here have their own preferences, but I've had great luck with an Ivan's Performance kit, which I've used on both B12's I've owned. It's pretty easily dialed-in, and with my 1216 kit, the bike ROLLS ON smooth as hell right off of idle and up the range, with no flat spots (dyno proved!). The only thing is that you have to return to the stock airbox (he has you drill 20 1/2" holes in the back lid)... but the bike runs really sweet with his needles and configuration.

I'm not a "shill" for Ivan, (even though I know him personally from my area)... he's a notoriously cranky SOB... but he sure does know his tuning.
PS I just wore out my original set of his needles... at 140,000 miles! I'd used the same set on my first red B12... 40K.. then put them in my next (black) Bandit. I felt a little bit of richness.. turned out the shafts had worn enough to let fuel through. So I have a new set on order.

Offline captnhooks

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Surrender Your booty!!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »
 :clap: 140k daaaaaamn!!  :congrats: Thats impressive. Ivan Holeshot build your own off of what they started!! Its all good!! I will probably go with the stage 1-3 jet kit and have my buddy tinker with it, I hate doing maintenance on the bike with that damn airbox, hence why i want to go to the dual pods.

I had a 87gsxr750 with the individuals on , and that was a night mare to tune, but pumped out 119 hp when all was said and done. Ended up putting a B12 in that one... WHOA!! Wheres my cape?? Sold it ... wish I hadnt!!

Back to the topic I guess Ive been trolling through the forums for years when I needed questions answered, and I have never walked away with out a solid answer!! LOL Jet kit will be placed after xmas. LOL I think im just gonna do the "eney meney miny mo" and choose that way!!!

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »
I don't personally know of anyone that had great results when using the individual pods... my uinderstanding is that you'll end up with a big flat spot somehwere.. and maybe worse, unless you really get it right.

Also, remember that individual air pods will be a problem if you get caught in the rain; even WITH my airbox (drilled with 20 1/2" holes), there are times when i'm out on the highway, get caught in a heavy shower... and the bike will start to cough and kick from water getting in.. and that is WITH the airbox. i can imagine it could be much worse with pods. Still, they sure are easier to get on and off.

It depends on how you want to ride the bike. If you're just looking for local stunting or dragstrip use, open 'er up all the way.
But if you're thinking of doing any open road traveling at all... better stick closer to stock. And that includes jetting... I think you'd find a Stage 1 kit much more practical and friendly than a fat Stage 3, where your powerband will be more limited and your fuel economy will suffer.

And while I'm at it, I wouldn't go past the 1216cc  11:1 piston kit. Any more radical and you'll be having problems with HEAT.. and that becomes very real if you get stuck in traffic on a hot day... and no, i'm not talking about your COMFORT; rather the stress on the rings and bearings.

Again, it depends on what kind of riding you do.

Offline captnhooks

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Surrender Your booty!!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
Heard ya!! 1216 is  perfect and the pods work pretty good here in Arizona as we dont get much in the way of rain!! I think thats that wet stuff that falls for the sky right?? LOL I dont sit in traffic, we have a pretty cool law here that allows us to roll the shoulder if your aircooled! I WILL NEVER go back to single pods, just the duals, and a stage 2 from Dale is what ive been told is perfect for here!! We shall see!! Keeping the stock box and a stage 1 for now, I do love to ride!!