Author Topic: H.S. Stage II Jet Kit Question: I just installed it today  (Read 7558 times)

Offline Chi-TownBandit

• Board Homesteader!
H.S. Stage II Jet Kit Question: I just installed it today
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 02:49:02 PM »
Hey Marc, thanks for the input.  I realize now that the pinging pop sound is normal.  Also, synching the carbs is going to be done soon.
As for this part of your advice:
If the cap blew off, remove and inspect your slide and seal to make sure there's no damage.

I probably know what you're talking about, but sometimes my version of moto tech terms is different from everyone else's.  :duh: What "slide and seal" are you talking about?    
Thanks for the clarification!
Erin
1998 B12 (AKA "Shiraz")
H.S. full exhaust, 5 degree advancer, and Stage II
Progressive front springs and 1100 GSXR shock
Givi 3 bag set up, plus other little sports touring mods

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 08:38:29 PM »
No problem.
The slide is that in which you insert the needle. Plastic. Each carb in the gen 1 series requires an o-ring between the carb body and the plastic cap to seal the vacuum tap location. Without these, the tank valve won't function and she'll have real uneven idle due to vac leaks. Suzuki charges about $3.50 for each of them unless you can find same in a car parts store.
Marc

Offline Chi-TownBandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 10:34:41 PM »
How bad would the uneven idle be, if there is damage to the seal?  Would it be really noticeable, like going from 1.2 rpms to 2 or 3, or just a slight up and down on the rpms, from 1.2 to 1.5?  Just want to know what to look for, if there is damage.
Thanks again! :thanks:
Erin
1998 B12 (AKA "Shiraz")

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 08:33:56 AM »
There should be an uneven and weak idle. It should not hunt as high as 2-3K.  Pull the tank and remove the caps one at a time to make sure the o-ring is present and that the spring is properly seated on the needle retainer. You need to be sure. Fofr that cylinder that popped the cap, remove the slide and check for any damage. The rubber seal is fragile.
Pep Boys used to stock o-rings and there was a set that was thicker but fit fine. You could check there if you need them.
In the end, the only o-ring that counts is the one on #3 that feeds vacuum to the tank. The others are only for taps for syncing the carbs and you could block them in lieu of using rings - if you must.
Marc

Offline Chi-TownBandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2005, 12:18:13 PM »
Hey Marc, awesome tech advice.  My carbs don't seem to have any weak idle symptoms, but when I synch the carbs, I'll take a look at the carbs' inners just in case--this little Q&A session has made me a little paranoid and curious at the same time, so what the hell, I'll take a looksee!
I agree, Pep Boys is the shiznit, and has been for my car as well as the bike!
I'll let you know, if I find anything.
Thanks again!  :banana:
Erin
1998 B12 (AKA "Shiraz")