Author Topic: High-Mileage B12's out there?  (Read 35119 times)

Offline dandit

• Board Homesteader!
Re: High-Mileage B12's out there?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 08:53:14 AM »
I've got '97 1200 with 61K on it. I bought it new.  I replaced normal consumables,  the steering head bearings at around 50K, the clutch at 55K and the ORIGINAL battery this year and that's it. I bought a Sprint st last year and the Bandit sat for that time :sad:. I just sold the Sprint because the wife likes the Bandit better and so do I :motorsmile:. The Triumph is great but I'm 48 and don't bend like I used to. Besides, the Bandit flat out rips. I'm upgrading the suspension soon as well as rejetting and replacing the exhaust, I think I'm going with Holeshot. I'm going to keep my Bandit till I can't ride anymore. I've ridden the Rocket III, 1600 Vulcan, a ZZR and several GSXRs and nothing compares with the all around capabilities of my Bandit. :clap: Thanks for lettin' me spout off.

'97 1200s with 65k- still rocks
06 Sonata v6 140mph
There ain't no medication like self medication!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 10:35:53 AM »
Which Sprint did you have, a 1050?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
Yup, a beautiful bike for sure.
06 Sonata v6 140mph

Offline K1958

• New user!
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 10:26:41 PM »
42,000 on my '01 and still runs like new.  Only routine maintenance so far.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 07:23:39 AM »
37K on my 98. Original clutch w/ no problems.Just change the oem battery this last spring."Ol' reliable" About 6 years ago I let someone take it for a spin, They totaled it. So its been stripped down,picked up a 2000 frame off ebay,plastics I needed. Tank from another Bandito.Was painted by a buddy for some tile work. While it was in pcs., I put the GSX-R slingshot cams in,Holeshot high mount header,addvancer,stageII,&pods,rear sets,a GSX-R shock(wich was changed to a Works Perfotmance. I had already done the Race Tech up front wich wasn't damaged.Put in all new bearings while it was apart and polished the swingarm.Have different bones made,extra rims. Safety wired.Had it all done for a year befor I put 'er down in turn 4 @ a wet Nelson Ledges in practice befor a race. Done numerous track days,a 30 min race ( I can't beat the fast guys on the 1K race bikes,but I can beat the not as fast guys on1K race bikes) The bodywork has some scars,its been stiched w/ ss wire and plastic weld from the inside w/ backing. It takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin'. I've been to a Bandit rally with it. Wife & I took it to N.Carolina and road around this summer.I retired it from track days,the SV is for that.But it gets most of the comuting and running around. She's always ready & willing to go for a ride. :motorsmile:

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
  • Tighten it 'til it Loosens then back-off 1/4 turn
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
Wow... this is all great fedback... and very reassuring, as my (second) 1st Gen B12 just clicked over 27,000 miles. (I recently sold my red '97 with 37,000 miles for $2100).

Chain problems... recurring "flat spots".. maybe from wheelies, despite the fact that I'm a "gentle wheelier". Anyone offer some feedback about chain adjustment techniques and chain/sprocket wear? I may be doing something wrong... like trying to re-use a "slightly" used front sprocket.. hmm.

Balky shifting... I've now replaced the shift forks, shift pawls, inner clutch basket, steel plates and fiber plates, springs (now Barnett heavy), and de-burred the leading edge of the clutch pushrod. It WAS shifting much better until I went back to the heavy Barnett springs (my bike was slipping a little on hard 4th-to-5th shifts). The heavier springs and grabbier (Barnett) plates resulted in sticky shifting again. The bike DEFINITELY needs to have a free-spinning clutch to shift smoothly. (I still think I have a slightly notchy shift-drum inside, but any issue there is compounded by not-fully-disengaged clutch). Not the BEST shifting bike I've ever owned, (nor was my red '97).

Progressive 420 rear shock is good,  better than stock, (an same length.. I avoid changing the geometry after a 1991 GSXR 750 shock on my last B12 caused weird front end feel). But 420 shock is STIFF, especially for the first few thou miles. Still, I like it better than stock.

Front end: Gold Valve Fork Emulator kit works great. Stock springs are fine for me.. firm enough. The kit made the front end slightly stiffer, but MUCH better feel than stock.

The two suspension fixes really change the handling characteristics for the better, (especially with my flat "drag" bars"), but the ride is certainly firmer, for you Tourers out there.

Corbin Gunfighter seat is HARD as a rock, but looks great. After getting kicked in the nutz repeatedly over frost-heaves and pot-holes, I finally pulled the cover off the front, hack-sawed the "snout" off the front of the seat, and paid $25 to a Custom Harley shop to rivet the cover back on again. A GREAT fix, but the seat is still hard. At least my 'Nads are less obstructed.

Bridgestone BT-020's ..(021's?) are very good.. but when they wear the center section stays around like a square shelf.

Barend mirrors are the titz. Love 'em.

Wave rotors... stainless lines, really help the braking.

Yosh RS-3 end-can, with "holed" airbox, Ivan needles, stock jets, and fuel-screws turned to about 4 turns out runs crisp and strong across the range. (I'm 200 feet above sea-level).

I run the bike hard on the US Northeast highways; 3-4 days out on the big roads, running 75-110 mph all the time, the bike is awesome.

Shine ON, Midnight Bandit. Nothing else out there I'd want to buy at this point.
Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles

Offline RDUBandit

• Board Homesteader!
  • All or nuthin', more or less...
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »
I'm a hair shy of 47000 miles on my '04 B12S.  Runs great, but I just installed a Holeshot stage 1 jet kit, 5° timing advancer, and a 19-row Earl's cooler (twice the capacity of the OEM).  I believe the gas mileage is now a bit better, and it runs about 10-15° cooler.

Dave...
2004 Bandit 1200S (>92k miles; lotsa mods; SOLD)
2002 Bandit 1200 (>13k miles; more mods)
1997 Bandit 1200 (>3k miles; most mods)
2005 Ducati Monster S4R (>48k miles; ditto)
2003 Triumph Speed Triple (SOLD)
2013 Yamaha FJR1300 (5k miles)
IBA Member #28454

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »
Runs great, but I just installed a Holeshot stage 1 jet kit, 5° timing advancer, .........  I believe the gas mileage is now a bit better, and it runs about 10-15° cooler.

+1.... and more power!!!
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline dandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 11:59:13 AM »

+1 on the barends :beers:
06 Sonata v6 140mph

Offline notagix

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »
32,000 km on my '07 in 10 months of riding :thumb:

Offline KringEnBeans

• First Post! Be Gentle!
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »
I honestly can't believe the number of people here posting saying 20-40k is high milage.

So I feel compelled to say mine has ~30k, and will surely will last another 50k minimum. in fact the bike runs better now than when I bought it with 7k on the odo. 

I live in PHX, and ride mine everyday, so my maintenance is done on the dot.

have replaced a couple gaskets, new chain and sprockets every 10k, oil changes between 3-5k, valve job every 7.5-10k, tires never lasted me very long but Pilot Road 4s have been good to me now, @75% tread with 5k on them.  brakes don't last me very long either, stop and go is all to frequent. in fact my next investment is going to be rotors due to partial scoring. 

other than a well needed jet kit for my exhaust, the only upgrades I've done were progressive fork springs and 07 busa shock, rides like a new bike after that. 

These things run like swiss clocks, and if you don't abuse them and neglect them afterwards they are surely going to last a very long time.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 10:58:32 AM »
Tru Dat............ :thumb:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »
It's truly less about the mileage and more about the maintenance. 

Ryan's work truck turned more than 1.5 million kms (so around 1mil miles) and with regular maintenance it would have gone more before he sold it because we bought another one.   We bought our current truck with 120K kms on the clock on a 2 year old truck.  No problems in 7 years - other than a window motor switch and a heater motor which is pretty minor.

The thing to remember about bikes is that they see way less severe duty than the average cage so the miles aren't even hard miles.  My B4 had somewhere over 50K kms ( 30K odd miles) when we sold her and she showed no signs of issues at all.

The bikes we have left are unfortunately very low miles at the moment.  :annoy:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline inspecto

• New user!
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 06:22:17 PM »

+1 on the barends :beers:

---
make that + 2 on the bar ends, now I can see very clear without my shoulder in the way :clap:

Offline pawnee

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2016, 09:18:24 PM »
Havent been here in a while but just had to say that my '02 B12 now has 106,000 miles. I'm the original owner with routine maintenance and Holeshot goodies.