Author Topic: vavle adjustment questions  (Read 3506 times)

Offline the kid

• TURBO TYPER!
vavle adjustment questions
« on: June 21, 2006, 08:20:39 PM »
what parts am i going to have to replace , the head gasket what else. thanks

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 08:44:35 PM »
The cam cover gasket can be reused many times if handled carefully. The 4 cam end buttons (two on each end) will stick to the head and need to be carefully removed. Be careful with the spark plug tower o-ring gaskets, if they are not secured to the cover with bond they can drop loose when you are installing the cam cover.

It would not hurt to have a right engine cover gasket as a spare.
If you spin the motor by using the crank (19mm end bolt) you will eventually need to replace this gasket as it easily tears.

I highly recommend the Motion Pro tappet tool, it works better than anything else (including the factory Suzuki tool) and is only about $45. It will pay for itself by eliminating any problems by allowing you to tighten the adjuster locknuts without affecting clearance.

BTW, you need a manual if you don't already have one. You will need torque values. The cam cover bolts cannot be overtightened, if you strip the threads on these they are a PIA to fix.  

Good Luck, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline jwalters

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://genome.uiowa.edu/~jwalters
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 12:55:20 AM »
Also, make sure to use a torque wrench when putting everything back together.  This happened to my buddy last year, he was lucky but many more are not.
http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=1498&highlight=landshark+valve
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1972 Honda CB 750 K2 Cafe Racer
1985 RZ 350
2006 DR650SE

Nesba #013

Offline MrBAMcClain

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 01:26:05 AM »
Where can I get this Motion Pro tool?

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 02:05:52 AM »
Any cycle parts house will be able to order it. It is made by Motion Pro. This one was found by google and $39 online. It comes as a set of three wrenches. Some people prefer cheaper alternatives and some make their own, I like tools that make a job easy and that last.  

This adjuster is by far the best I have used. It will work on any Suzuki screw tappet motor including all Bandits, early GSXR, and 16v GS bikes.

Good Luck, Ed

2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:06:45 AM »
I have used the origional gaskets on my 2002. I will replace them next adjust as they are starting to crack. (No leaks so far after 38,000 km)

Be very carefull with valve cover bolts. These threads strip bery easily, even if you use Suzuki's recomended torque settings.

(yes, I have Heli coiled almost all of mine)

As for the adjustment tool, you can make one very easily using a Robertson screw placed into a small piece of dowling. Not pretty, but it works fine.

Offline gearset01

• Board Homesteader!
Valve adjust
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 08:18:29 AM »
Everything stated is correct, I used a craftsman small tap handle to adjust with, put it on the stud and secure it by tightening. I bought the small metric tap and die set to clean the threads for the side cover "blue locktite" in the threads, you will need the locktite, RTV black and I used high temp grease small coating on the plug gaskets and the large allen bolt gaskets for the cover. Leave the plugs in till you need to rotate the engine. Put them back in after you are finished adjusting, this lessens the possibility of anything falling into the cylinder. Once you have all the fasteners out of the cover lift each side and expose the small pins that center the cover and get them out before removing the cover, they are slippery. Tighten the cover down by hand using the non-allen bolts by hand gently going back and forth between them until the cover is seated. I torqued those and the allen bolts one in front and one in back of the cover in steps up to 11 ft lbs. The journal allen bolts I greased the gaskets and just seated. Take your time and use the book, read twice act once. Remember its all soft metal !!!
PIN