Author Topic: 98 B12 carb parts part-#s, prices (and bad dealer story)  (Read 3263 times)

Offline onebohemian

• TURBO TYPER!
98 B12 carb parts part-#s, prices (and bad dealer story)
« on: August 08, 2005, 11:29:23 PM »
Having figured out how to rebuild my carbs, I thought I'd post some info I learned that maybe someone else can use.

According to Haynes, there are three o-rings and the bowl gasket that need to be replaced when rebuilding carbs.  I decided to replace them even though I'm not entirely sure each was necessary to be replaced.  Figured it made sense to do the job right the first time.  By the fact that the dealers don't carry these parts on hand, I doubt they are replacing them when they do rebuilds.

13509-17C00, tiny o-ring that goes under the plastic cap on top of the carb where the vaccuum tubes/plugs connect;

13374-44080 (superceded by 13374-35C00), o-ring around outside of valve seat;

13374-46710, o-ring on end of float the pushes into carb body;

13258-44B00, float bowl gasket.

Beware, here comes my venting about a bad dealer and its overpriced parts:

Shop around to get these.  I had to order them from the dealer, but I thought it would be best to get OEM to be sure they are exact fit.  I expected the price to be higher than aftermarket but was surprised to find out the following.  Stay away from the Hitching Post in the Twin Cities at all costs.  Hitching Post cost for the above, respectively, was per piece, $4.42, $6.30, $7.61, and $4.55.  Times four plus sales tax, the bill was $97.47.  This is ridiculous for a few small pieces of rubber and I told the sales person and her parts manager so.  Nonetheless, they claimed the price was the same at any dealer because they charge the "suggested retail price."  I placed the order and then got in my truck to head home.  

Fuming about the price, it dawned on me to call another dealer just to doublecheck and make myself feel better that I wasn't getting ripped off.  The salesperson who answered the phone at Larson Cycle in Cambridge, Minnesota was fabulous.  I had the part numbers because I looked them up myself from my microfiche before I got to Hitching Post as when I had called earlier in the day to check on part prices, the salesperson who answered the phone at Hitching Post, St. Anthony, was too busy to figure out what I needed.  The Larson Cycle guy told me over the phone that the prices for the same OEM parts from Suzuki are, respectively, $2.54, $3.65, $5.85, and $2.63.  This totals out to $62.49.  That's a difference of $35.00 for the exact same parts.  To make the deal even better, the Larson Cycle guy then suggested that for an additional $6.00, he would UPS the parts to my door when they arrived at the dealer.  Even though Larson Cycle is only 25 miles north of me, I jumped at the option.  He took my order via credit card over the phone.  

I turned the truck around, went back to Hitching Post and cancelled my order.  The parts manager and sales person questioned why I was cancelling an order from 30 minutes earlier and I explained that another dealer had just quoted me via phone the same parts for less money.  The parts manager asked if they could match the price, but when I told her it was $30.00 less, she balked.  She actually said, "It might look like we're just trying to get more money out of you, but we're not."  I have no idea what she meant, but I do know that I'll never set foot in Hitching Post again.  All my buddies and anybody else who will listen is going to hear this story too.

I feel better having vented.  Can't wait until my parts get here so I can finish the carbs and ride again.

Mark
Minneapolis, MN
Mark
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 01:24:04 AM »
Just out of curiousity, I ran those same P/N's (in your order) thru Ron Ayers website and their prices were $2.08, $2.96, $2.14 & $4.76, for a total of $47.76 (plus shipping).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
carb parts
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 03:09:29 PM »
Another good place for carb parts is Sudco at Sudco.com

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 05:50:52 PM »
Suggested retail is determined by each individual dealer.  They have the manufacturer print out a "list" price with the actual cost to them plus their mark up added.

This mark up usually runs about 280 - 320 % for parts less than $50 and less for more expensive parts.  Very expensive parts may only bring a n 80-100% mark up, and some body parts even less.  It all depends on the dealer.

I've favored Larson's for the last 20 years or so, buying several bikes there and some parts too.  Barney has sold the place to Mike and John but still is there most every day.  

They're truly fair people -- they gave me my money back on a Royal Enfield that lost four oil pumps in 110 miles.  I made it easy by buying another bike on the spot!  The new bike was heaviliy discounted as it was early November.

Still, that said, Ron Ayers usually has very good prices on major Japanese parts and that's my usual source these days.

Offline onebohemian

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 06:30:08 PM »
Thanks all for the comments.  Should have used Ayers but I forgot about them.  I'm happy with the price I got through Larsons.  LIke to give my local businesses some money once in awhile to make sure they stick around.  Just don't like to get raped by them.

To make me feel a little better, I wrote my experience up in an email and sent it to the owners of Hitching Post and Larsons.  Figured each should know what the other is doing.  No sense complaining to the world since only the people in control of HP have the power to fix the problems -- although I assume they don't see it as a problem.  Haven't heard a word from HP in response.  Go figure?

Mark
Minneapolis, MN
Mark
Minneapolis, MN