Author Topic: Holeshot Stage 1 quick question.  (Read 3242 times)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Holeshot Stage 1 quick question.
« on: August 21, 2006, 05:52:14 PM »
Hello I have a Holeshot stage 1 and I have a quick question. When the bike is fully warmed up and I blip the throttle slightly the rpm will rise then go below set throttle for a second then recover. According to the Factory pro tuner site it means my mixture screws are too rich. I pulled a plug and it does seem a little rich to me. Otherwise the bike drives well except sounding a little soggy on the bottom end.

I had the mixture screws turned out 3.75 turns out and turned them in 1/4 turn to 3.5 turns which helped the problem slightly. However I want to know if this is normal behavior for a Holeshot stage 1. I get zero popping at all on deacceleration so I know it's a little rich. What is the minimum people have turn their screws on this jet kit? If I turn them in another 1/4 turn to 3.25 will this be better? Or should I keep the pilots this rich?
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Vee Dub Nut

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:33:11 PM »
No mine doesnt do that, sounds like your a touch rich if I were guessing. Ive tried all sorts of tuning and cant ever seem to get the popping out of mine unless i make it overly rich down low. I just rather live with a little popping for a lot cleaner idle/partial throttle circuit.
Adam in College Station Texas

1996 Bandit 750s - SOLD!
1998 Bandit 1200s - SOLD!
2000 VW GTi GLX
1967 VW Beetle* slight modifictations

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:55:37 PM »
Doesn't Dale's kit recommend a lot of shims?  I would take one shim off each needle and see how it goes.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 11:13:28 PM »
I have the screws now another 1/4 turn and its much better. Up top is good so I think it's just a little rich down low I have the larger pilots in there and on the stock pilots I had 3 turns out on the screws and it was good. Big improvement over stock, it's a little scary now.  :grin:

EDIT: However I just was reading what my mechanic did and he only cut a 1" hole instead of a 1.5 inch hole. Hmmmm...maybe that's why its a little rich. I wonder if I should open up the airbox hole or remove shims? Or both?
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 07:07:34 PM »
You are on the right track with your mixture screws.  The larger pilot jets could actually require the screws to be turned in even more to be just right.  Regarding the hole in the airbox cover, I would cut it exactly as specified in the Holeshot instructions.  Dale has worked out the best combination for the B 1200.  I installed my kit exactly as specified and it worked wonders.  In the late 1980s I had a similar experience with a well developed kit.  I bought a Toomy Racing kit for my RZ 350 that included expansion chambers, air filter, jets, etc.  First I installed the pipes and jetted them the way the local "experts" advised.  The results were good but not great.  Then I rejetted exactly as Stuart Toomy has specified in the instructions.  The results were spectacular.  When you buy a jet kit from someone like Dale Walker, you are not just buying parts, you are buying the development work and dyno time that he used to work out all the details.  The details are what make the difference.  Good luck.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline Vee Dub Nut

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:36:07 PM »
yup, your heading in the right direction. I see your on a second gen so your setup will most likely be quite different than mine, but i would definately open up the box more if its not cut to the directions.
Adam in College Station Texas

1996 Bandit 750s - SOLD!
1998 Bandit 1200s - SOLD!
2000 VW GTi GLX
1967 VW Beetle* slight modifictations

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:11:37 PM »
Ended up being a stuck float!! on number 4 cylinder  :grin:

Weird on a new install but hey no biggie, drained float bowl, gave a wack and all was good again. Still have mixture screws a touch under 3.5 and it's great. Thanks alot guys, you rock.