Author Topic: installing a k&n or aftermarhet exhaust.  (Read 4242 times)

Offline cjb1214

• Board Regular!
installing a k&n or aftermarhet exhaust.
« on: April 17, 2005, 10:58:11 PM »
I just bought a 1997 Bandit 1200.  The guy said it had a stage 2 jet kit and the factory exhaust was drilled out a bit.  It has the factory air box in it.  If I put the K&N filter or pods on it, and switch out the exhaust am I gonna have to adjust or rejet the carbs again?  Is it worth the hassle?

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
Re: installing a k&n or aftermarhet exhaust.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 11:56:48 PM »
Quote from: "cjb1214"
I just bought a 1997 Bandit 1200.  The guy said it had a stage 2 jet kit and the factory exhaust was drilled out a bit.  It has the factory air box in it.  If I put the K&N filter or pods on it, and switch out the exhaust am I gonna have to adjust or rejet the carbs again?  Is it worth the hassle?

if it is running good now then anything you change that alters the flow of air through the system  will require jetting changes imho. is it worth it . only if you are a performance hound looking for every ounce of power you can get out of your motor. there is after all a personal satisfaction in knowing any changes you make to a system as far as carbs go that has been maximized as far as hp by you that any change to that system will result in less power.also mho
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 06:43:17 PM »
There's nothing worse than buying a bike and having someone be vague about what kit's in it. Were the needles changed? Pilots? Were the slides drilled or springs cut? It's always really convenient to know where your baseline is...
There are some standard solutions that work very well in a Bandit, being time tested, like the 2" mod. I personally run a K&N with the box intact so I don't need to deal with rain issues or a loud intake snort (though I might like it).
In the end, if you're going to fool with jetting, you're in for lots of carb time. I hope you enjoy it! We're here to help. Here's my setup. The bike screams. It's a 1st gen B12. A stock filter required 127.5 mains.
Marc/Atlanta

Holeshot full exhaust
2" hole in stock airbox and snorkel removed
K&N panel filter
15/48 gears
135 mains and 35 pilots
14.5 mm floats
3.5 pilot screw turns

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: installing a k&n or aftermarhet exhaust.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 04:17:20 PM »
Quote from: "cjb1214"

Instead of drilling holes in your box,just take the snorkel out. That gives a little more air, and a K&N filter. I have the pods,but taking my carbs out seems to be a hobby anymore.If it has a stock exaust,and he said it was drilled out,I would think he was taking about the mid pipe. T.W. from the Bandits RUS list I think started that. (I've been wrong befor) if you go to a full exhaust,plan on taking lesson 101 on carb tuning. If you just add a slip on with the box,(snorkel out) and a K&N filter. You'll probably just have to change the mains up one size(wich you might already have if they are 105s).Thats not a stage 2,but do'nt beleive everything your told. If it had the stage 2,you'd already have the exhaust and pods to go with it. ( I have 105s if you need them) Dan

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 04:21:19 PM »
I would wonder about a bike that has a Stage 2 jet kit but stock exhaust & airbox.

See if you can find out what kind of jet kit exactly is in it before you spend money on a K&N or do any mods.

I'd put the money towards a Yosh or Holeshot can before I'd drop a K&N in too.