Author Topic: Ivan's jet kit questions  (Read 11132 times)

Offline 02B12S

• New user!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:05:57 AM »
I have few questions about Ivan's jet kit.

Do you need to clip the spring like in the holeshot kit.
Any drilling of the slide?
Which pilot and jet sizes are included?

I ride from sea level to 6300 feet every year(Mt Washington ride to the sky during NH bike week), with the stock jetting I have no Problems. I assume if I install Ivan's jet kit "correctly" I would continue to run OK thought this range.

I have been thinking about getting Ivan's kit later this spring.

Thanks
JJ
02 B12S - Faster Silver
WWBOC #2478
Bandit Owners of the North East member #9
Gell Seat - Suzuki case guards - Suzuki Bandit Windscreen
Blade's- Vacuum block
DW- Progressive springs - ScottOiler - WWBOC plate frame - Bar Snake

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
Ivan's jet kit
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:29:28 PM »
No you don't drill the slide or clip the spring. I don't remember the jet sizes. I can tell you they work great tho  :motorsmile:
Mike M.
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.

Offline deanz12

• Board Regular!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 04:50:44 AM »
Ivans Kit comes with 112.5 mains, his needles and float bowl screws. You drill the air box lid to use the jets supplied or skip drilling the holes and use your stock 100 mains with his needles.

I can't compair it to other kits but I can say it does work real good.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 09:49:07 AM »
Deanz is correct.

I have Ivan's kit & have been happy with it. I am currently going to experiment with 17.5 mains to see if it cures my lumpy idle.

I have helped a friend install Dales stage 1 kit and can tell you they require the same ammount of tinkering to get things right.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 06:12:28 AM »
Oh and I forgot, I clipped my springs 25 mm. I can't really say this made any difference, but it did not do any harm either.

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
JK install
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 03:43:58 AM »
I have also installed both Holeshot stage one and Ivan's kit. Both in my '01 b12s. Both kits installation went without a hitch for me though, musta got lucky, or maybe it is the near sea level that I live at.

When I was running the HS kit I bought Ivan's on a lark (and on sale) and I was/am really impressed with the improvement. Idles well, runs strong & pulls hard from idle on up. The only non-reversable thing that installing either kit required was drilling out the epa plugs over the idle air screws. The best advise is to follow the instructions!

I thought that the clipping the springs thing was to correct throttle response when using pod filters rather than the airbox.

I encourage anyone to direct questions regarding Ivan's kit to Ivan.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 03:34:35 AM »
I installed Dale's Stage 1 kit on a friends B-12 and the instructions did recommend cutting the springs. I believe you cut them a little more on his Stage 2 kit (3 mm I think)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 05:57:47 AM »
What about temperature sensitivity and gas milage with Ivan's kit? I just bought a muzzy slip on and am wondering if it may be too sensitive to ride where I live. I ride from basically the first thaw to the first(or third  :grin: ) snowfall. Would it be advisable to go up one on the pilot jet, or is it better to stick with stock. My bike stock is horridly lean until I drilled the mixture screw plugs and have them turned out 3.5 turns which is .5 over stock(3) to cure the off idle stumble. I'm assuming that at low rpm(on pilots) and just off idle it won't make too much of a difference with all the holes there as it gets the same amount of air as if the stock box without holes was on there. However at higher rpm's(on mains) I believe that's where the holes are nessesary to give enough air to the carbs. On blades bandit's site they said the stock airbox with just the snorkle opening is only good enough for %28 of the four carbs needs or just enough to supply one carb at WOT!. That is why you drill the nessesary holes. Does wet or cold weather cause too much of a problem. While I understand it will never be %100 in all weather conditions, but is there a certain weather or temperature change that gives you the most grief? I'm assuming the bike is still drivable.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 10:04:34 AM »
My mileage went down a little after Ivan's kit.  He says it normal... and it makes sense since you're giving your gas-starved engine more fuel.

Someday I may take out the stock pilot jets and replace them with 17.5's, because I have my A/F screws out to 4 turns right now.

I don't think temperature changes will effect it as much as altitude changes... and even if it did you can always move the needles up or down a notch if necessary.  (Basically have 2 settings for hot & cold weather.)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 02:16:26 PM »
Nice! Well I think I'll go with Ivan's then. I may order those 17.5's seperatly, I wonder if Ivan would consider putting them in his kit for the future. I guess theoretically you don't need them but 4 turns from seated. Holy! Hopefully the shipping to Canada is not too much. Although I hear that with Dales kit the milage goes up. I guess it's a toss up between a few more ponies with Ivan's or better milage and driveability with Dale's. Damn!!!

Imagine this:

In a shocking annoucement Ivan's performance products and Holeshot have teamed up to produce the first fully switchable jet kit!!!

In the new Ivan-Hole (tm) jet kit for the Bandit you the rider can determine which you want!! With the new redundant-link(tm) pully system combined with small rodents to plug holes in the airbox now you have the choice!!!

"I was really sick of those arguements on the Bandit forums about who was "better" and who's speaking down to who. All I wanted to do was go out to dinner!" said Dale

"The use of small rodents to plug up some of the holes combined with springs to shim the washers which allow you to compress the shimming on the fly really bring out the power or gas milage in our new jet kit. One must make sure however the candle that drives the rodents up against the holes stays lit. With my needles installed we both feel that this offers more power that other non-rodent jetting solutions." quoted Ivan.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 07:18:26 PM »
While some do report mpg increases with Dale's kit, some don't (probably most don't, but I've never done a survey).

Air has more density at lower temperatures, so cold weather can have an effect on your jetting. Some people seems to have more trouble than others. I don't know if this is due to some bikes being more tolerant, some areas having more drastic air density changes or if it's just some of us are better able to sense the differences.

I have Dale's Stage II kit on my 2G B12 and it was set up per his baseline instructions. It seems to work fine for me in my riding - from sea level to 6000', temps from just above freezing to 100*F.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 01:12:34 PM »
I think the main problem with jetting the 2G Bandits is related to the airbox. It appears to be much smaller than the 1G airbox and makes the bike much more sensative to jetting.

I am still not happy with the jetting on my '05 with Ivan's kit and airbox mod. It is about 90% right but not perfect. The bike is too sensative to temp changes, I was told by Ivan himself to expect to rejet for the seasons and that the 2G airbox was a big part of the problem. This coupled with having to deal with the airbox when removing/installing the carbs is too much of a pain in the a$$ to not be perfect.

I think the solution is to get rid of the airbox, therefore I am thinking of going to RS36 Mikuni's with pods as I see no need to spend $250 for a stage II kit w/pods for the stock carbs.

I will post when they are installed with the results, anyone looking for a deal on a jet kit? :lol:

Ride On, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 07:06:51 PM »
Quote from: "2005B12S"
I think the solution is to get rid of the airbox, therefore I am thinking of going to RS36 Mikuni's with pods as I see no need to spend $250 for a stage II kit w/pods for the stock carbs.

So, how much will a set of properly jetted RS36's and pods run you?

BTW - If you have a line on cheaper pods, or already have some, you can get Dale's Stage II kit w/o the pods for $141... and they'll usually discount their advertised price if you mention WWBOC (Worldwide Bandit Owners Club).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 11:35:07 PM »
Cost alone is not a direct comparison- the RS carbs are about $650 with pods. I would not put them on a stock bike, but with other mods like cams and a bore kit/compression increase they will really wake the motor up. They are all out race carbs but have idle and choke circuits for street use. They are mechanical slide carbs and do not rely on vacuum to open the slides as CV carbs do.

I have a set of RS34's for the '83 GS750 and have been wanting to try the 36's on the B12. In addition to getting rid of the airbox, I plan to get rid of the stock sidecovers and have some small alloy covers made using dzus fasteners. This will really clean up the bike and open up the intake.

I will post photos when done.

Ride On, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Ivan's jet kit questions
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 06:36:52 AM »
OK, that makes sense then. Just going on what you said earlier left me a bit confused... but if you're planning major engine mods, then I might not put the $$ into the OEM carbs. FWIW, seems those running 1216's with cams & headwork are running bigger carbs, usually 38's or 40's. In fact, Fast Larry is running 38's on an 1157 motor with 10.5 pistons, headwork & hotter cams.

Sounds like we're in agreement that for a stock motor, a jet kit would be the better way to go.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)