Author Topic: lowered bike new rear shock  (Read 9294 times)

Offline mchollan2112

• Board Regular!
Re: lowered bike new rear shock
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »
I have a home made spring compressor for small shocks like this.  Where would I find some rubber bumpers like you described?
Honda Shadow
Suzuki GS500
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Offline mchollan2112

• Board Regular!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 11:20:11 PM »
Just to give you all an update...

I have the new 2007 GSXR 1000 rear shock in place (currently only held in by the top mounting bold because I'm tired).  Removal was the biggest pain.  It's really tough to break those mounting bolts in such a tiny area.  I put in Mr.Gasket rubber spring spacers on the top and bottom part of the shock spring (totaling 2" of displacement)and once I get it bolted down more securely I am going to set the pre-load to its highest setting.

Does anyone know how the pre-load works on that shock?  It has two collars on a threaded mount.  I am assuming I tighten the bottom one to wherever I'd like and follow it with the second to lock it in place, but I want to make sure before damaging the collars.
Honda Shadow
Suzuki GS500
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Offline mchollan2112

• Board Regular!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 10:49:47 PM »
I'm a bit confused now.  After getting the shock installed I seem to be sitting at that same height.  Everything I read about switching to the GSXR shock told me I would be sitting an inch higher.  Further more I now seem to bottom out the bike myself without a passenger.  I was able to ride solo on the stock shock with no problems, and I would only bottom out riding two up on some pot holes.  I have the preload set to max. :banghead:

Was the shock I bought already too worn (I bought it off ebay)?

I really don't want to but I might have to put this back to its stock height and sell it and buy something a bit lower to the ground  :rant2:
Honda Shadow
Suzuki GS500
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 08:06:34 PM »
What is the eye to eye length of the GSXR shock? The Gen2 1200 would have been 320 mm with a 61 mm stroke. The common shock transplant for the Gen2 B12 was a 1st Gen Busa Shock, which would have been 330 mm, and this would normally raise the rear about an inch (not really what you wanted).

I don't know the spring rate of the GSXR shock either. Maybe a bit more research is in order. The Gixxer is a much lighter bike, and your lowering link is providing more leverage as well, so making everything softer. You might need to add a stiffer spring to the Gixxer shock?
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline mchollan2112

• Board Regular!
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »
GSXR Shock:

B12 Shock:

According to the documentation, the length of the GSXR shock should be 329mm.  The B12 should be 320mm.  But when I put them side by side and measure, the B12 shock is longer?  So now you have me really lost.

The spring rate of the GSXR shock is 10.1 kg/mm (according to the document).  I never could find the spring rate of the stock B12 shock.

Where would I go to get a stiffer spring?  Best I have found so far is this site: http://www.eshocks.com/hyp_make.asp
Honda Shadow
Suzuki GS500
Suzuki Bandit 1200