Author Topic: clipons for an02 600s??  (Read 4530 times)

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
clipons for an02 600s??
« on: March 06, 2005, 09:26:25 AM »
i've read that you can drop the forks in the triples and make room to install clipons. how much difference is there in the handling? like the look and the more aggresive position but I don't want to compromise safety or handling just to look cool! Any heip would be appreciated.

Black 02 600s

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
clipons for an02 600s??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 12:53:27 PM »
I think there are a couple 'other' options, to get a more aggressive riding position, other than clipons.

Paul can probably spit out the exact links, but a 'clubman' type handlebar, a drag type bar, and there are some adjustible type bars that may be a step toward what you're trying to  do.
 (Thomaselli? I think is one adjustible type bar.)
http://www.omarsdtr.com/cafe6.html

If you ride the bike around town at slow speeds, and traffic quite a bit, narrower bars will make you work a bit more.

Maybe the suburban-machinery bars for the SV's may be an answer.
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/hbindex.htm
  Are you thinking of going to rearsets?

My 'stock' answer is that spending lots of bucks turning a BAndit into a 'sportbike' is kind of a waste.   Money spent on stuff that increases comfort or performance is OK.
  (If you want a REAL sportbike...it's cheaper to buy one, than to turn the bandit into one!) :grin:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
thanks for the help!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 02:44:02 PM »
the suburban machinery type 2 bars for the SV look like they'll give me just what I want and I won't have to mess with the forks.  Are these a bolt on or would I have to modify something else? Will probably do the bars and see how it feels. If the riding position feels weird I'll fabricate some relocaters for the pegs. I saw some on the old forum that looked pretty simple. I work for a plating/powder coating shop so i have every thing I need to make these including the material for nothing! Thanks for the input!!

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
clipons for an02 600s??
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 02:51:20 PM »
They should be bolt on.  I'm pretty sure somebody has used them on a Bandit.   You may want to delay ordering a bit, in case there's some issues with fit, or clearance on a Bandit. (Can't remember....)
  They used to have a footnote on the site stating they were being used on Bandits....
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
clipons for an02 600s??
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 06:31:26 PM »
If I were doing it, I go with the SM bars.  I think they are a great solution.  I wish I had them.  I have Woodcraft clipons on my B4 below the triple.  I like it but wish I had the SMs.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
clipons for an02 600s??
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 04:39:28 AM »
I think Pete hit most of the bases. I've heard of, but not seen, people using Katana and Blackbird clipons, too, but be careful, too low and you'll have issues with them hitting the tank at/near full lock.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
SM bars look to be the ticket
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 08:23:48 PM »
had a look at the SM bars. Good looking and I think they'll five me what I want. Sent them an E-Mail with some questions. If they'll fit I'm going to install them. They had 2 styles, one about an inch lower than the other. If I get them installed I'll post the price and part number along with some pictures if I can. Thanks again for the help.

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
Finally talked to someone at Suburban!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 01:33:55 PM »
Just talked to someone at Suburban. He couldn't guarantee that the bars would fit. He said he would take them back if they did not. Has anyone done or seen these bars on a 2G Bandit before I order them. I would rather not be the guinea pig if someone already knows they won't fit. Any info would help alot. Thanks