Author Topic: Need some advice guys.....  (Read 3867 times)

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
Need some advice guys.....
« on: April 19, 2005, 08:16:52 PM »
Hello fellas...here's my dilema....

I started a thread a lil bit ago about fuel in the airbox. It was a considerable amount just saturating the airfilter and a small puddle actually in the airbox. Connected to the airbox is a drain hose of sorts. Is the function of the drain hose to let out water that collects in the airbox?
Lately my bike has been having crappy gas mileage and been dying out as if "choking". I think it's because the bike is running extremely rich due to the saturated air filter.

I unplugged the drain hose and a shit load of gas pours out. What the hell could this be? The PETCOCK has 3 settings "RES", "ON" and "PRI".
When I park the bike should I set it to "RES" or leave it on the "ON" position? Normally I would think there was an off switch.

If any of you guys can offer some advice or experience with a problem like this you would be helping me out tons. Oh BTW I have a 96' Bandit-S.

Thanks Again...
                                                                                              Wolf
" A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he lies to me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see." -Bill The Butcher

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 09:09:35 PM »
Is the function of the drain hose to let out water that collects in the airbox?

Yes it is!

I unplugged the drain hose and a shit load of gas pours out. What the hell could this be?

It is not uncommon for some fluid to come out of that thing.  I have not seen gas in mine but I do get a mix of water and oil - about a teaspoon or so.  The fact that you have a lot of gas in there means that you have a sticking float or perhaps a float that is set way to high.  Gas is backing up in the carb and pushing back through the air filter and into the air box.  You need to pull your carbs and check/clean/check adjustment of your floats.  While your in there give your carbs a through cleaning (jets, needles, everything).  Make sure your needles are all set on the same clip and that your diaphams are not pinched.  Also, make you you have the little o-rings on top.  Get a bandit manual and get after it.  It ain't hard to do this!  Heck, bring it over to the house and we will get it done!

When I park the bike should I set it to "RES" or leave it on the "ON" position?

It doesn't matter.  When set in either of these positions, gas it drawn into the engine by vacume when the engine is running.  Set it to prime and it will be free flowing, period.  There is no off position but you could splice in a on-off valve on your fuel line.  Not sure why you would need to do that, if everything else was working the way it was suppose to.
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 10:37:45 PM »
TerreBandit thank you so much man. I really appreciate the time you took to break down my post and try to help me out. I had an idea it was the carbs but wasn't sure. I think with your imput I'm headed in the right direction to get my bike running in good shape. Once again thank you so much...........

Wolf.
" A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he lies to me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see." -Bill The Butcher

Offline 97RedBird

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »
my petcock is broken.  I can't stop the fuel at all.  Suzuki shop told me they can order the diaphram, but everytime I call they tell me it hasn't come in yet.

PS - I use a clamp to stop fuel flow when taking the fuel tank off the bike.
- Nathan
96 B6S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 06:43:39 AM »
Quote from: "terrebandit"
When I park the bike should I set it to "RES" or leave it on the "ON" position?

It doesn't matter.  When set in either of these positions, gas it drawn into the engine by vacume when the engine is running.  Set it to prime and it will be free flowing, period.  There is no off position but you could splice in a on-off valve on your fuel line.  Not sure why you would need to do that, if everything else was working the way it was suppose to.

True, it doesn't matter... but gas is fed to the carbs by gravity in all three positions. Engine vacuum is used to open the petcock in the "ON" and "RES" positions. Lack of vacuum to the petcock diaphragm in these two positions turns it off. "PRI" lets fuel run out of the tank regardless of vacuum signal to the petcock. (Just like the "ON" position of a manual petcock.) So, while there is no "OFF" position, it autmatically shuts off in "ON" & "RES" when you shut off the bike - as long as it's working properly.

If the diaphragm in the petcock goes bad, it can send fuel down the vacuum line and have a rich problem with the #4 carb and/or get fuel in your airbox and/or engine & engine oil.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)