Author Topic: Needle Shims  (Read 13748 times)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »
Quote from: rider123
YOu know what bazza that may be a better idea than taking out the airbox and getting hacksaw's and such. I wonder if even 2 1/4" holes would do as I have a 1/4 inch bit at home. Let me see bazza if I can fix this bike without having to use the 107.5's if not than I'll send them to you as well as the shims so you can experiment. I'm sure dropping the mains 2 sizes and covering up say 1/4 to half the holes is going to help you.

Hi Rider:

I have installed both Ivan's & Dale's kist into B-12's and while Dale recomends 1 big hole, Ivan recomends 20 small ones. There is no difference, with the drilling of the holes, you are just increasing airflow through the box. If your bike starts running bad, you can just tape up the new holes with duct tape.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 08:16:10 PM »
Just to let everyone know it turned out number 4 cylinder was super rich because of a stuck float!! :grin:  No biggie, drained float bowls, gave a few wacks, good as new, thanks guys you rock! Do you want those 107.5's Bazza? Oh well got to unscrew cap and put back the shim I took out.

Maybe if I'm super lazy I won't even have to take the airbox out just drill 2 1/4" holes above the snorkle area.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 07:06:46 AM »
Bazza, I posted you 20 shims this afternoon. ......good luck with your tuning  :beers:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 06:07:17 PM »
107.5's sent. Since you have some shims coming in I'll save them for someone else. If you use the radio shack shim remember then are thicker than the Holeshot ones so I can't see you using more than 2 on each needle. I found 1 was good for me.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 07:03:16 PM »
Hey Guys:

I can't thank you enough!

Bazza

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 07:13:11 PM »
By the way Chupacabra & Rider, I received your "care" packages on Friday. Thanks very much once again!

Rider...check your mailbox.

Bazza

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 11:45:36 PM »
Hey Guys
If one of you has 4 Radio Shack shims to spare, I would like to try them in my 2G 600. All stock engine. Planning on drilling the pilot plugs this winter and shimming the needles to see if I can improve the mid range "hole" at 6000 rpm.

Any shims would be appreciated...
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 05:40:04 PM »
Quote from: "pmackie"
Hey Guys
If one of you has 4 Radio Shack shims to spare, I would like to try them in my 2G 600. All stock engine. Planning on drilling the pilot plugs this winter and shimming the needles to see if I can improve the mid range "hole" at 6000 rpm.

Any shims would be appreciated...

Hey PM I can help you out! If you E mail me your address I will get em out in the mail to you this weekend!

I am just sharing Chupacabra's niceness! You will have to thank him!

Baz

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2006, 07:14:19 PM »
Thanks Baz and Chupacabra!!

PM sent today. I only need 4 shims. If you have extras, save them for the next guy. Like you, I live a close to 2000 feet, and for me, I usually ride up from here.

If the single shim doesn't do it, I will spring for an Ivan's kit with the new needles.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006, 04:14:32 AM »
PMackie:

You may want to check with Snubnose. He had his wife's 600 re-jetted and I believe they went with one shim & the next size mains. I understand it was a huge improvement.

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 11:38:20 PM »
Hey guys. I am really curious about these Radio Shack aka. Circuit City aka. The Source. Shims. Do you know if they are motherboard washers? Are they metal? I have just installed a 2Bros. pipe and, even tho the bike seems to run fine with the exception of noticable backfiring when downshifting,I might like to try the easy (shim) fix as opposed to the total carb breakdown required to install a jet kit.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 04:57:36 AM »
Hey Rocketjock:

1st of all, did you remove your carbs and drill out the blocks for the a/f mixture screws?

This in my mind is a must if you installed a new pipe as the stock setting of the a/f mixture screws is lean. This will help more than the shims for decell backfiring.

The shims that chupacabra sent me look exactly like motherboard washers. Radio shack once sold smaller & thinner washers, but were discontinued to my understanding a while ago to the present ones. I did install these on my B-12 and they work fine. As long as they fit in the hole, they will work.

Keep in mind that the shims will only affect mid range operation of your carbs. Ideally you would want to also drill out the plugs on your a/f screws which helps adjust idle.

Carb mods to make things simple work in steps. The a/f screw adjustment helps low rpm fuel supply, the shims help mid range fuel supply & changing the main jets helps things over all. A perfectly tuned Bandit really requires all 3 to obtain a perfect setup, along with air box mods.

The poping you hear on deceleration is normal, and while carb mods helps this, it will always be there to some extent.

If you are happy with the way it's running, and just have some minor decel pop, don't be too concerned as long as you are not running too lean.

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 12:42:41 PM »
Thanks, Bazza, for all that info. Too bad it's December ugly here and I won't be riding the bike any distance for at least three months. Then I could pull the plugs and see if they're runnin hot. I was hoping the shim thing was all I would have to do, ie., poping the carb tops in bike only. If I have to dismantle them then I'll be going with a stage one kit.  The Bandit's an 06 so I really hate to touch anything I don't have to. But Mar. or Apr. is a long way off and a lot can happen by then.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 04:11:01 AM »
Hey Rocket:

You would not believe how much a jet kit will add kick in the pants fun to your B-12.

Fuel consumption suffers a great deal. I installed Ivan's kit in mine, and have to say if you love kick in the butt midrange, his kit is worth the buy!

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
Needle Shims
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 06:47:35 PM »
Quote from: "Bazza"
Hey Rocket:

You would not believe how much a jet kit will add kick in the pants fun to your B-12.

Fuel consumption suffers a great deal. I installed Ivan's kit in mine, and have to say if you love kick in the butt midrange, his kit is worth the buy!

if you have Ivans kit why dont you just drop the needles 1 slot ?you will get your mpg`s back
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors