Author Topic: clutch problem?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline redryder

• Board Regular!
clutch problem?
« on: May 31, 2006, 09:05:19 PM »
I have a 98 Bandit 1200 with about 12,000 miles on it. I bought it used. When I pull out or when I accelerate when going slow, it has a clanking noise. Until I get up a little speed the noise gets faster as I accelerate. When there is a passenger it is worse. When the transmission is cold it doesn't seem to do it. Am I pulling out too slow? Is this normal? Are the clutch plates warped? and if so will it hurt to ride it this way? Any thoughts or help will be appreciated.

Offline vadim

• Board Homesteader!
clutch problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:13:54 AM »
Start with simple things first: check the chain.  I've had the same symptoms when my chain was going really bad.  Some of the links were binded together shortening the chain, but apparently as the bike warmed up they would loosen extending the chain lenght.  So when I would just be going out for a ride, everything would be fine but after some time riding I'd get clanking noises when starting from the chain hitting the chain guard.  New chain/sprockets is waaay cheaper than a new clutch. :)
'01 600s

Offline redryder

• Board Regular!
clutch problem?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 08:25:11 PM »
I checked my chain. It is within tolerances. I also checked the wear of the chain according to Chilton's Bandit manual.

Offline flipbandit

• Board Homesteader!
clutch problem?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:52:34 AM »
u should try putting the bike on it's center stand and run it, try changing gears.
see if it does the same.

i can only think of the chain getting loose i just changed my chain last month it was the same thing, clanking noise for every revolutions.it almost sound like riding on a road that has ridges or cracks going on the other direction. had 23000miles on my old chain and sprockets pretty good huh? hehe
(",)

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
clutch problem?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 01:03:08 AM »
I know you adjusted the chain but did you lube it real good?  SWound exactly like a worn out DRY chain.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline redryder

• Board Regular!
clutch problem?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 09:32:17 PM »
terrebandit, you were right. I checked and hadn't lubed the chain since about 680 miles. After I lubed it, the noise stopped. I guess I need to lube it more often than the 600 miles in the maintance schedule. I actually checked and lubed it before I read your post. But I would still be worried about it if you hadn't suggested that as the cause. I didn't do it to fix the problem, just because it was due. :thanks: I appreciate everyones help and suggestions.

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
clutch problem?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 06:09:39 AM »
Quote from: redryder
terrebandit, you were right. I checked and hadn't lubed the chain since about 680 miles. After I lubed it, the noise stopped. I guess I need to lube it more often than the 600 miles in the maintance schedule. I actually checked and lubed it before I read your post. But I would still be worried about it if you hadn't suggested that as the cause. I didn't do it to fix the problem, just because it was due. :thanks: I appreciate everyones help and suggestions.

I might overoil my chain , but the maintenance schedule with chain lube seems like a Bs number. It kinda depends on the oil your using. If you ride in the rain often or wash the bike much, what about having a dirt road to your house?? I guess you should just look at the chain and oil it when you feel it needs it.