Author Topic: No spark?!  (Read 2369 times)

Offline 97 bandit

• Board Regular!
No spark?!
« on: September 29, 2005, 09:08:55 PM »
Hi Everyone, New here so here is my question. I have a 1997 Bandit 1200s that I pulled the battery from while I was removing the rear inner fenderwell (I'm having it chromed along with a chrome tire hugger-more about my mods later). So just to be able to run it every now and then I thought I would put the battery back in so I would be able to start it-well I did put it back in and it would not start. It was running just 2 days prior to this. So I'm checking for fuel, checking fuses, checking connections you name it when I thought I better check for spark at the plugs! Guess what? Theres no frigging spark! How did it go from running great to now there is no spark at the plugs? I'm I crazy or just by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it did it fry the ignition box? Everything on the bike is mint and works great, never had any problems now this. Thanks, Tom
Stretched 8", lowered, polished & plated everything. Lectrons, V&H's Pro Pipe, etc!

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
no start
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 03:43:02 PM »
I doubt you fried anything unless you bypassed some fuses.  My first thing to check would be the battery.  It might be original and dying of old age.  When a battery goes bad it won't hold a charge but it will survive if you use the bike every few days to charge it.  If the battery sits for awhile, it goes dead.  Most auto parts stores will load test a battery for free.  If the battery is ok, start looking for corroded connections around the main fuse.

Offline 97 bandit

• Board Regular!
No spark?!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:17:46 PM »
The battery is good-real good. After awhile from trying to start it and having no luck I threw a small battery charger on it while i was checking things out and pulling the outer 2 plugs to see if I had any spark when I was ready to try it agian. All the lights come on bright and everything works perfect except there is no spark at the plugs. I still can't believe it!
Stretched 8", lowered, polished & plated everything. Lectrons, V&H's Pro Pipe, etc!

Offline broncbob

• Board Homesteader!
No spark?!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 10:26:54 PM »
did you check for power to the cdi? that will tell you if you need a new one or if you need to chase anothe problem down!
i'm to young to go that slow!