Author Topic: Oil Leak from PAIR removale?  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Breach

• New user!
Oil Leak from PAIR removale?
« on: March 28, 2005, 11:04:44 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the sight but it looks like you may be able to help. Over the winter I installed a holeshot stage 2 jet kit into my GSF1200S, adjusted the valves this weekend, re-assembled and fired her up. My question is it looks like I am leaking oil from the Holeshot PAIR removal kit I installed last year. (still too warm for me to try and tighten the nuts).  

I guess my question is, regardless if the nuts are loose or not, should the PAIR be leaking anything but exhaust?  I don't think its because the valves are too loose, I don't get the familiar clacking.  Any ideas????  

Please help its getting warm out ......

Thanks,

Ron R.

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:52:58 PM »
Ron,

Its not your PAIR system thats giving you trouble here.  You must have knocked off one of your spark plug tower gaskets when you reinstalled your valve cover (after your recent valve adjustment).  The oil is coming from a weep hole that is immediately above the pair.  This weep hole is intended to drain water/condensation out of the spark plug wells.  Whats happening is oil pressure is pushing oil out from underneath your valve cover and into the spark plug well(s).  It is then draining out these weep holes at the front of you engine.  No problem.... just pull your valve cover and reseat those gaskets.  You might have to put a little RTV on them to get them to stay in place.  I like to hold the spark plug tower gasket in place with my hand as I move the valve cover it over the cam chain.  Its usually the cam chain that knocks them loose as you move the valve cover back into position.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline Breach

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 11:57:11 PM »
Dave,

Thank you for the quick reply,  That makes sense, I thought I checked them good enough, but apparently not. I will pull her back apart and check.

Thanks again,

Ron R.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:01:17 AM »
Do you mean leaking oil from the block-off plates just below the header pipes?

No, shouldn't ever leak oil from there. It's just a port that goes into the exhaust.

It's probably coming from somewhere else and found the plates as a spot to drip from. Most likely you have a leaking valve cover gasket. If the head looks dry all around the edge of the valve cover, it's probably one or more of the spark plug tower gaskets. If oil leaks into the plug recess, it goes out thru the "rain drains" . . . which come out near the PAIR ports.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Breach

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 12:15:24 PM »
I checked last night and there is a slight amount of oil in the #1 and #3 spark plug tower (Looks like the drains work  :roll:  ) .  I guess it's more worth while to pull her back apart for for two gaskets instead of one.

Thanks for the input, I can sleep easy now not worrying about FUBAR'ing my bike.

Ron R.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 08:19:26 PM »
I put a SMALL dab of RTV form-a-gasket in the valve cover's tower recesses to hold the gaskets in place. Helps keep them in place during re-installation.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 09:48:44 AM »
My post must have been invisible, right Paul?  hehe

:wink:   :blahblah:  

Glad to hear everything worked out....
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 12:30:33 AM »
Yours wasn't there when I first hit the reply button, but being at work, I got sidetracked with non-bike related crap, so it took me a few minutes to finish my reply.

:beers:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)