Author Topic: oil temperature  (Read 6066 times)

Offline luc

• New user!
oil temperature
« on: September 28, 2005, 10:22:58 AM »
What do you think is the "normal" range of temperature for the oil on a G1 1200?

On my 1999, using a small Autometer gauge, it stay most of the time around 230* but can go up to 250* in traffic.

The sensor is in the oil pan and 250* seem pretty high to me, especially with a non synthetic oil.

What do you think?

Luc.

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
oil temperature
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 10:57:31 AM »
I think 230 is the upper normal limit- I would not want to see it above 250.

210 is a good number as you need to get the oil hot enough to boil off any moisture in it as the result of normal combustion. On my factory oil temp eguipted '83 GS750ED there is a line at 210 degrees indicating optimum oil temp. The bike is highly modified and always ran best with oil in this temp range.

I used synthetic in the 750 and plan to do so in my new B12 once fully broken in.

If not using synthetic, on the B12 , I would change oil every 1000 miles during hot summer months. Between engine heat and sheer loads in the tranny, the oil takes a beating.

Good Luck, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
oil temperature
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 12:02:17 PM »
I would try to check that oil temp gauge against another thermometer before I got too excited!
 :wink:

I saw you asking about aftermarket oil coolers, or ones from a 2 G.
  I don't think the 2 g bolts right on.
 The aftermarket stuff that's out there is REAL expensive!
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
oil temperature
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 12:27:31 PM »
In general, oil temps should be between 200 and 230.  Anything higher is HOT.
I would switch to synthetic and make certain it's the correct viscosity.

Unless you want to shell out the coin for a bigger cooler, I would leave it at that.
I don't recall any cases of engine failure being related to oil temps, but then again, they did increase the cooler in '01.

I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper and better to mount a small fan behind the oil cooler with a toggle switch you can turn on in traffic.  I bet that makes a huge difference, since even a bigger cooler isn't going to do much if there isn't any air flow!

Anyone know where to find something like that??
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline luc

• New user!
oil temperature
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 12:41:24 PM »
I did some research on putting a fan behind the OC, but there are 2 big issues with it, lack of space and especially being right on top of the headers with the heat related issues.

I agree, I should check the accuracy of my oil temp, especially considering that it's a very small electrical one (1 1/2") designed for water temp, so the scale is not very precise.
Do any of you run a digital oil temp gauge?

Any sites/links for aftermarket oil coolers?

Thanks.

Luc.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
oil temperature
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 05:57:32 PM »
SOMEBODY hooked up a fan on the oil cooler, but don't remember the details.

The aftermarket oil coolers ones are like $6-700.
  There was (I think!) one out of the UK, and one out of Japan.
   Here's HEL
http://www.h-e-l.co.uk/HEL_Performance_Motorcycle_Brake_Lines_Oil_Cooler_Kits.htm

There are a lot of little 'muffin' fans for electronics and computers that are 12v, and small.   I don't think they'd hold up very long in the weather, but they're cheap.

I remember an article about somebody using a car power steering pump oil cooler as an auxilliary cooler for a bike.  It would involve some plumbing.  (Been 20-30 years ago)

The reusable Scotts oil filter has some heat sink fins on it, that could add a little cooling.
  Somebody was also selling some metal heat sinks that could be clamped on the outside of normal oil filters.
 Here it is, they have 'harley' versions, but maybe a car one could be made to work.
http://cool-collar.com/products.htm

There's probably some way to add some cooling, without spending $700.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
oil temperature
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 07:09:03 PM »
On prevous Suzukis I've measured oil temp in the pan and in the oil galleries.  the old GS series had a fitting on the oil filter cover that allowed the mounting of a sending unit there.  There is a substantial difference, with temps in the oil galleries being about 20 degrees warmer.  

A sump (pan) temp. of 230 would probably be considered normal on a hot day.  Modern synthetic oils can handle temps of over 350 degrees F with no degradation for extended periods.

Just my opinion.