Author Topic: OK this is weird...  (Read 3224 times)

Offline 03banditrdr

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
OK this is weird...
« on: May 03, 2007, 09:49:24 PM »
I bought this bike from the original owner who I know traveled from Kansas to Ohio to buy it from the dealer NEW. According to the original owner he didnt do this to the air box, which was covered by duct tape when I removed the tank. and he has been a VERY close friend for years and would not lie to me. I trust him completely!!! Should I replace the air box cover or just retape it up? The carbs do not appear to have been messed with but Im not for sure???

and the air filter looked like this, it wont blow clean.

Can this part be cleaned with carb cleaner?

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
OK this is weird...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:39:46 PM »
The air filter looks lik the OEM filter, which is disposable, rather than reusable.  So that's why it won't blow clean.

As far as replacing the airbox lid, I suppose if you can fabricate something that really seals it shut to create the original vacuum, it would work.  I'm more of the "find a replacement" guy...there's alwasy someone on this BBS who is parting out a bike, or there's eBay.

I don't really understand part of your explanation.  You bought this bike from the original owner, who says that he bought it from the dealer new, and the air box cover was already cut?  Somebody did something, and I would guess there might have been another owner in the chain.

I can't address how to tell if the carbs have been changed.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline 03banditrdr

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
OK this is weird...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 12:28:01 AM »
Quote from: "Sven"
I don't really understand part of your explanation.  You bought this bike from the original owner, who says that he bought it from the dealer new, and the air box cover was already cut?  
yep thats the story at this point. I think I will replace the air box lid if i can find one.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
OK this is weird...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:05:42 AM »
Try posting in thye parts for sale thread in case this thread gets missed by someone. I bet you'll find one easy enough.
  I switched to a K&N filter,you can clean them and reuse them.BMC also makes a good filter.   Dan

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
OK this is weird...
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:59:59 AM »
I have an old one that is unmolested.  I have no use for it so it's yours for shipping cost.  I may even have a used but still good filter to go with it.  I will look in my box of bandit stuff. (went to pods myself).
2001 B12-HS stage II, HS full exhaust, Gsxr cam

Offline 03banditrdr

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
OK this is weird...
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:38:27 AM »
Quote from: "okbandit"
I have an old one that is unmolested.  I have no use for it so it's yours for shipping cost.  I may even have a used but still good filter to go with it.  I will look in my box of bandit stuff. (went to pods myself).
 You have a PM. Thanks