Author Topic: Overheating 1200  (Read 12667 times)

Offline bandaid

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Overheating 1200
« on: May 10, 2006, 09:40:37 PM »
I have a 97 Bandit 1200s with 15,000 miles. When I ride in traffic for even 15 minutes it overheats.  RPMs increase, bike stalls and won't turn-over until I let it cool down for 30 minutes.  Would like to identify some causes before I take it to the dealer for a fleecing.  Any help is appreciated.
Oh yeah, this is my first post and I am counting on my fellow Banditos for your generosity and knowledge.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Overheating 1200
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 02:58:32 AM »
:clap:

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 05:48:48 AM »
Sure you're overheating?
The fact that the revs increase leads me to think fuel starvation....vacuum in the gas tank, pinched fuel line, bad fuel petcock ect.

The next time this happens, open the fuel cap....see if there's a 'pop' when you open the tank, your tank vent isn't working. Common problem and easy fix....and would also cause the symptoms you're describing.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline westofzero

• Board Regular!
    • http://lostatsea.org
Overheating 1200
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 02:06:11 PM »
I have a 97 1200s with 16,000 miles on it and it doesn't normally do that, but the other day when I was in stop and go traffic I noticed the rpms start to rise then it shut off on me, and that was after sitting in traffic for about 20 mins.

I pulled over to let it cool off and then it was fine. My first thought was that it was because it overheated.

This happened again later the same day after more of sitting in stop and go traffic, so I'm thinking it has to do with overheating. But, I'm not an expert.
97 B1200S

Offline clutch7

• New user!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 04:42:35 PM »
I have a 600 and I had similar problems. After riding for a while it would stall out on me and I would have to let it sit for a while, then it would start back up.

I drained the tank, cleaned the hardlines, the vent tube, put in some new NGK plugs, changed the oil/ filter, cleaned the air filter, put in some fresh 91 gas + some carb cleaner in there and that pretty much did the trick for me, runs smooth, idles well.  

so you might wanna check out all of the routine maintenance stuff before you take it to a shop to get checked for a ton of $.

Offline Aviator

• Board Regular!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:23:34 AM »
Vapor lock! At higher temps, the reformulated gas available at pumps these days is very prone to it.
Try another brand of gasoline. Different Brands have slightly different compositions.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
fuel
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »
We've been getting a lot of "poor running" posts her lately.  My always trusty '97 B6 ran like crap the other day.  I think we've got bad fuel out there.  The fresh gas or switching brands and some fuel additive seems to be working.

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 03:03:34 PM »
I have seen temps that would fry chicken (300+) and I have NEVER had my bike shut off from excessive heat.
97 1216 Big Bore, Gixxer intake, with
Holeshot commemorative figurine with kung fu grip, Red
12 volt Dewalt drill, Yellow,
Moen bathroom faucets, Chrome

Offline texasbandit

• Board Homesteader!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »
My '97 B12 (29,000) has never quit when it got hot but, if I get stuck in traffic jams it starts acting wonky.  The idle goes up to about 1500+ and it starts to misfire - sometimes it would load up and not really clear out until it cooled down.  I am running a DW Stage II & recently leaned it out some, but last week I got stuck in rush hour traffic and it started the same stumble and misfire nonsense until I got it up to normal highway speeds and it cooled back down.  I just figured it was the nature of the beast.
1997 GSF1200S  (The tinkerbike)
2003 FZ1 Bumblebee (Almost stock)

Censorship causes Blindness

Offline 350ers

• New user!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 01:06:14 AM »
I have a '97 1200S with 38,000 plus. For the last year I have had the same high idle when stuck in traffic..never stalls though. I removed the cooler, flushed it out and also cleaned the externals..the center of the cooler was fairly dirty even though I hose it off each time I wash the bike. I suspected overheating because an oil change would cure the problem for 1000 mi.  Been using 10w-40 and am considering going to a heavier oil to see the results.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 01:22:55 AM »

Offline 350ers

• New user!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 01:49:47 AM »
Good idea...I suppose the fan would have to be switch operated unless I could come up with a way to attach a t-stat to the engine. I've seen some air cooled Deutz diesels that had the sensor attached between cooling fins on the back cylinder. But with the absence of deep enough fins you would probably have to epoxy a fitting to the engine that would accept the t-stat probe. The best way would be to get the probe into the oil but I'm not real excited about adding adapters or tapping into the supply line on the cooler.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 09:52:52 PM »

Offline reaper

• TURBO TYPER!
Overheating 1200
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »
+1 with the abouve

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
2002 B-12 Overheated today
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 05:55:23 PM »
I was in this hugh bike blessing today.  When we finally got to the spot where the blessing was taking place it was a long line of traffic waiting for your turn as you rolled by the pastor.  Anyway the bandit was idling the whole time and the surging rpm's was a problem.  Probably 10-15 minutes of this.  The engine got real real hot and when I pulled over, I turned it off and let it sit for like three minutes.  I'm thinking a real lean running engine due to the fact that I've been having the carb issues this season.  When I tried to start it again, the starter just spun like a small R/C car engine.  The pinion never engaged the motor.  After like fifteen or twenty minutes I managed to get it bump started and it was idling real low the rest of the way home when I came to stops.  It was all highway the way home so it stayed somewhat cool.  When I got it home and let it sit a few the heat was pouring off it.

Does this bike have some sort of temp sensor that won't let you start the bike?  This is now problem number two that I have to deal with.  Looks like I'm going to take the first plunge into fixing this here motorcickle.  Wish me luck.