Author Topic: pesky plugs on the B12  (Read 6469 times)

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
pesky plugs on the B12
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:43:37 PM »
Well Done, what a great article on the jet kit 101, but being an enthusiastic amateur Im unsure about a couple of things.Is the pesky plugs sole purpose in life to stop you from adjusting the factory stock positions of themixture screws and once they are brilled out that gives you access to them to adjust mixture.?
   Can you confirm the model no of the carbs that got modified.?              
   I have recently up!d the pilots on a k3 b12 to match a pipe and a k.n filter and the bike runs perfect especially from cold and mid range highway touring and roll ons in top kicks sports bikes..im serious but i then up"d the mains to 110 and the needles 20thou.I have not yet  had it dynoed tosee if its makin more H.P.the exhaust is nowblack and sooty and the site i took instructions from doesn"t mention pesky plugs and mixture changes.are the mixture screws relative to soot? SLO COACH.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
pesky plugs on the B12
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 12:23:59 AM »
Yes, the sole purpose in life for those pesky plugs is to keep you from tampering with them. Certain markets that don't have political mandates don't have them... such as the UK. As far as what model carbs... just about every carb on every bike made for the USA for the last 10, maybe 20, years has 'em.

The black soot is either carbon or oil. Since yours is a K3, it's unlikely to be oil related. If it's carbon, you're too rich. Could be the screws, could be the shimmed needles or even your jets. You need to do a more thorough investigation with an exhaust gas analyzer, or some riding with the plug chop method.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
A/F mixture screws.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the info on the pesky plugs.I  just ducked into the biggest bike retail shop in Auckland N.Z to book the bandit in  to get the exhaust gas air fuel mixture diagognised and they assure me its in japanese and they cannot run the machine properly.                          
     Plan B.if the A.F screw is wound out from factory, about 2.5 to 3.0 to a
suggested 3.5 to 4.0 turns ,has this leaned it out or made it richer.

CHEERS.      SLO COACH.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
pesky plugs on the B12
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 01:07:04 AM »
Richer... though the factory settings wil most likely be below your guess. Usuallu in the 2-2.5 area, though some have been found closed completely! (In this case, it's usually only one of them that's found that way.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)