Author Topic: Pilot jets sorted the problem  (Read 18249 times)

Offline dickbarton

• Board Regular!
Shims?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 03:45:13 PM »
Hi again,
I bought a Scorpion pipe, fitted it and took it off again when the initial 'bite' on acceleration went AWOL. I guess this means that the mixture is too weak again. Tickover is fine, in fact it runs much better and I can take it off choke sooner. I read that main jets need to be increased, but whats this shimming under the needle business? The stock needles come with different slots (according to the Haynes Manual), so dont I just have to choose a lower slot; effectively raising the needle?
Also, why would I need to increase main jet size AND raise the needle?
Please help.

Dickbarton

Offline GSF1200S

• TURBO TYPER!
Needle Shimming
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 09:20:59 PM »
Hi Dick,

Shimming the needles changes the fuel curve as the slide rises on throttle opening.  In other words, raising the needle will allow more fuel at a lower RPM.  However, it will not affect maximum feul delivery.  If you need more fuel you need a larger main jet/

Hope this helps. :motorsmile:

Keith

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Pilot jets sorted the problem
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 01:04:18 AM »
US/Canada bikes don't have adjustable needles stock. Many other markets do, such as UK & EU. So shimming the needles is the way to raise the non-adjustable needles.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dickbarton

• Board Regular!
shimming the needles
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 03:49:13 PM »
Thanks lads, in an imperfect world its refreshing to get not one but two perfect answers. I'm impressed.
Regards

Dickbarton

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 01:50:38 PM »
I just received my Mikuni Pocket Tuner from Dennis Kirk.  It is a slide rule like device that makes it very easy to see the relationship between Main Jet, Jet Needle, Needle Jet, Throttle Valve, and Pilot Screw settings.  It shows specific jet size corrections required to maintain proper mixture for changes in ambient temperature and evevation.  I was surprised to see the cumulative effect of these variables and now understand why my Bandit is affected as it is by weather changes and location. ie Cooler weather makes it run leaner, higher evelation makes it run richer.  It might be the best $4.95 I have invested so far.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline edge of midnight

• New user!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 08:10:07 PM »
From my signature you can see my set up. Af srews set to 2. 1/2 turns inners and 2 1/4 outers still to rich on primaries will try to get #20's that might help also note with this config std filter and 1 1/2 " airbox hole.  May look at Holeshots new backless airbox with K&N.
Edge of Midnight - Midnight MCC Port Elizabeth, South Africa. To infinity & beyond. Loud pipes save lives. 04 B12S custom hirise can & midpipe, derestricted, 1.5" airbox hole jets 27.5, 110, FP TI needles & adj advancer, sbk5 pads, fender mod, sigma 1200