Author Topic: Poor Mans Stage 1 kit  (Read 50989 times)

Offline deanozx10r

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Poor Mans Stage 1 kit
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »
Ya mines got them already, they stick out just past the carbs on both sides with one of course going to the tank.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2012, 09:03:41 PM »
I got a good tip for you on the poor mans sync:

Ok after a great deal of pain and suffering I finally got the extender on carb number 2 finally. It's now super easy to sync the bike up and I want to share a little tip with you guys which really helps out the smoothness alot. Since this guage is so accurate you can also fine tune your mixture screws as well. As we all know there will be microscopic machining differences, slide spring tension blah blah blah. Needless to say every cylinder will be just slightly different than the next. What you should do before the sync is go for a low throttle cruise around town, no full throttle 1/4 mile burnouts, etc ,etc just a nice leisurely cruise under 1/8th throttle to make sure the plugs are being coloured mostly with the cruise or pilot mixtures. This way when you take a look at them, you'll notice that some of them might be a little richer or leaner than others. Make a note. For instance my number 2 cylinder is a little richer than all the others which are very close to one another.

When you're syncing the pairs and have them pull nicely together at idle put a little pressure on the throttle and bring up the rpm a few hundred rpm, say to 1500 or 1600 or so an look at which cylinder is pulling more now. So you look at the super expensive top of the line guage you made and realize. "Hey when I give it a little throttle, number 2 pulls more, then they are the same when I release the throttle WTF!!!!!!". The reason for this is as the rpms come up slightly the mixture will lean out a bit, the cylinder which is slightly richer won't lean out as much and have slightly more power than the one that is leaner. So you have 2 options:

1. You can richen up the leaner cylinder to match the richer one
2. Lean out the richer one to match the leaner one

What your trying to do is pick the best out of the pair. Since my number 2 cylinder had a bit of soot on the base ring and my number 1 cylinder plug looked perfect I leaned out the richer one so that when light(I'm talking just pressure)throttle was applied, they were now pulling up together in sync. Just be careful of the mixture screws, especially with the accuracy of the guage, doesn't need much turning at all I think I turned like less than 1/8th of a turn more like 1/12th or some other fraction I can't calculate. A good way to test if all the pistons are pulling the same is to move along in first gear just above idle at like 1500 or something insane. A slight downhill may help here, you can actually at this low speed feel the pistons power pulses. If there is a slight push every once and a while and it's not smooth than chances are the cylinders are pushing at different power rates, governed by the mixture screws at that level. In my case I had a cylinder rich, but if you had a cylinder that was lean it would still do it, though maybe not as noticeable(check the plugs). In this way you can get a hyper accurate sync probably way better than any bouncy ass dial. Remember this is only for the slow speed/less than 1/8th of a throttle sync, which is where you're going to feel smoothness or roughness. At higher rpm/throttle, it doesn't matter as much although I would wager that having all the cylinders mixtures super close together is going to make the bike at ALL rpms ranges smoother.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline deanozx10r

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »
Rider I got a new problem- after a 200 mile ride I got junk in one of the needle/seat, bike sat and floaded out. I pulled the carbs cleaned them again. This time the vent hoses going along the sides of the air box they were hard so the pulled them and tossed them, plugging the fitting with rgv. Now the bike runs rich but that could because it was flooded, before I pull the plugs and replace them do these hoses have to be open not plugged. Thanks Deano!!

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
Are you talking about the vacuum sync port extenders? Then yes they have to be plugged when not syncing otherwise your bike will run like shit(too lean) and you'll burn a valve eventually or maybe burn a hole in the piston. If your talking about the overflow hoses for the fuel tank then they need to be open. If you have a gen 2, there is an airbox drain with a plug in it on the right side of the bike, you may want to pull the plug and drain any extra fuel that got into the airbox which would make it rich, then put the plug back in. Maybe you should take some pics of these hoses your talking about, plugging one that should be open(overflow drain) or opening one that should be plugged(sync port extenders) is kind of important. Important enough that you can do engine damage so take some pics of these hoses you're talking about so we know what you're talking about.

What I did for the extenders is get a 1/4 inch diameter tubing, bought some brass couplers then used the original rubber vaccum cap on the end so I can take it off to sync then put it back on to seal.

Like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-barbed-brass-hose-coupler-68214.html

One end of the hose is the 1/4 inch tubing slipping over the sync port and the other open end I just use the vaccum cap from the carb.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:42:46 AM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline deanozx10r

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2012, 08:33:27 PM »
Ya they were the over flow, my problem was I put it back together to fast!!!!!!! I started it up ran fine went for a ride got about a mile then died. So I started thinking well that caint be to much fuel. Pushed it back home starting looking ya putting the tank back on the hose got kinked against the throttle cables. :banghead: Rerouted the hose runs good no issues. I just got to slow down when im in a pinch for time!!!! And ya I drained the air box with the hose/plug. Thanks again Rider!!!