Author Topic: Super-Trapp/Super-Crap Revisited  (Read 3215 times)

Offline TheBigB

• Board Homesteader!
Super-Trapp/Super-Crap Revisited
« on: November 06, 2006, 02:27:44 AM »
If this works you are now looking at a pic of my "new" Super-Trapp exhaust and the unusual welding defect on the lower edge.

http://static.flickr.com/101/290294011_ffea0ffaf0.jpg

Anyone want to take a shot at just how this happens. The back story is limited. I bought this can off ebay for $160. I was told it was new and never used, and all indications from the packaging supported that claim. From what I can tell it just looks like poor welding at the manufacturer. But hey, for $160 I ain't complaining too loudly.

Here is a not so good picture of it on the bike. Give me a break, I bought my fist digital camera just yesterday.
http://static.flickr.com/100/290294009_0e01bac7dc.jpg

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 10:01:30 PM »
I can explain it.  

You paid about half the price of a 'perfect' new one.   :wink:

Probably the seller bought it as a 'flawed' item and decided to sell it himself.

Offline TheBigB

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 02:38:41 AM »
I figured as much.

And again, I'm not complaining given the price. I just found it very curious.

And for those who might be wondering... I have all 7 diffuser discs in - theoretically the "loudest" setting - and it's not too terribly loud at all.

I think I may be noticing a decrease in miles per gallon though.  I haven't adjusted the carbs so maybe when I do that the mileage will return to normal. In the meantime I am enjoying that really cool backfire sound you get when you come off the throttle and slow down. Very race bike sounding. I am sure my neighbors appreciate it.

The Big B

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:00:34 AM »
Looks good.  The Supertrapp web site shows this as a universal muffler but they all have a mounting spigot.  Did yours come with the bolt-on end to fit the Suzuki mid-pipe or could the previous owner have welded on an adapter plate to make it fit?  That would explain the apperance of the weld if it was modified to fit the Suzuki before you got it.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline TheBigB

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 04:45:17 PM »
I very much get the impression that this can is/was new and came to me "as is" out of the box.

It bolted on just fine except for the fact that it hung a little off center, so to speak. Which is to say that with the can bolted in place you couldn't line up the tab that bolts into to foot rest. I had to do some modifications which involved fabricating a bracket along with bending the tap itself ever so slightly.

But, again, I ain't complaining. I like the looks and the sound.

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »
This from a welders point of view. That's a tig weld. In itself it's not so bad and looks sound but it looks like somebody forgot to grind it off at the factory. How it got past inspection is really beyond me. On the other hand, maybe the can has been opened and rewelded after the sale. Maybe it had drugs or guns in it. Lol.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline TheBigB

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 07:42:31 PM »
Drugs!? Cool. No longer to I have to rely on simply the exhaust fumes to get high.