Author Topic: Rough CHAIN issues  (Read 10330 times)

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
  • Tighten it 'til it Loosens then back-off 1/4 turn
Rough CHAIN issues
« on: November 15, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »
For the longest time, (50K miles??) I've been having issues with my chain and sprockets.

Primarily, there has been a..louder-than-I-expect.. CLATTER across the sprockets.
Also, I was going through chains faster than normal (averaging 7-8K only).

I did a LOT of homework... I bought a Motion Pro sprocket alignment tool, which showed me that my swingarm marks were off... but one FULL MARK.

But even with that adjusted I was still getting ..clatter at the sprockets.
So I pulled everything apart in the back, and eventually found that the spacer inside the carrier had gotten.. mashed.. on one end; looked like someone had hit it with a flat hammer.

When I put the wheel ass'y together without the chain and torqued it all down, I found that there was an inordinate amount of ROCK in the sprocket, say at 9 and 3 O'clock...probably rocking from that spacer being deformed.

So i started REPLACING stuff... and found a swingarm on Ebay in good shape for $85. I put new bearings in that, and assembled everything... to discover that the 03 arm I bought was 6mm WIDER inside at the axle.

So I found a 2nd Gen carrier and spacer online for cheap... put THAT in, reassembled everything.

The bike ran great... much less chain noise... except for one thing:

It now sits HIGH in the back... enough to alter the geometry so I could feel it. I LOVED my previous geometry... so next I ordered a full 03 linkage and dog-bone ass'y off FleaBay.

It's coming in soon.. and I hope it will restore my lovely old geometry.. or at least make it GOOD ENOUGH again.

If not.... Back to the Modding Board.
Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles