Author Topic: small elctrical prbelm on a 96 bandit 600  (Read 7660 times)

Offline wndrr

• TURBO TYPER!
small elctrical prbelm on a 96 bandit 600
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 04:38:52 PM »
well looks like I got all the gages and lights working now.
 :banana:  some one cut the leads in the harness  and no they did not just come out they looked cut so every thing is working. how ever now it seams the lights dim and get brighter depending on the RPM. Is this normal on the G1 B600
 :duh:
97 B12
84 Shadow 700

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 08:57:19 PM »
All lights are changing intensity when you rev the engine?
  (headlight, as well as the tach/speedo light?)

Are you having to jump start the bike to get it running?

Do you have a multimeter, or some way to read the voltage at the battery with the bike running?
  (They're like $4 at Harbor Freight.)

There could be a loose connection at the battery terminals, bad cable...bad battery....bad ground......alternator sucks...voltage regulator sucks, etc.

Luckily, you can eliminate most of this crap by trouble shooting a bit....

Hey, you found the screwed up wire.  You'll figure out this, better yet, let MR RATBIKE learn the intricacies of his new bike! :monkeymoon:  :motorsmile:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline ratbike05

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 03:56:11 PM »
Hey now Pete...If he wants to mess around with it let him be!  To answer your question about the lights, yes all of them brighten up when I rev it.  Also, there is no problem with starting the bike.  The battery was supposedly replaced last year so I would tend to believe it isn't that.  Although she could have put the wrong battery in it or it was just not a good battery to begin with.
Wait for me!!

Jim

97 Bandit 600

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 01:20:48 AM »
Hmmm.....

Possibly the regulator is bad.  There's a way to check it in the Haynes manual, but it's kind of involved, and you'd need a variable output power supply.
  (Not something most of us have around, unless you play with electronics....)

I'm guessing if the bike is cranking ok, and the battery isn't dying when the bike is parked for more than a few hours...the battery and alternator are ok.
   Are the lights really dim at night when the bike is idling, or do they seem normal, and still brighten up when you rev it?
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline ratbike05

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 11:00:36 AM »
Rode the bike home last night and the lights in the speedo and tach went out before I even noticed whether they were actually on or not.  The headlight seems to go from slightly less than normal to normal when riding.  Roamr looked at it and he said that part looked fine.  I think the next thing we are going to try is a relay to the gauge lights and possibly a switch when we hook up some fog lights possibly this weekend.
Wait for me!!

Jim

97 Bandit 600

Offline Oldschooler

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 02:26:51 AM »
I had almost the very same problem on a 1996 600 S. Here's the fix. If you follow the wire cluster out of the idiot light cluster about six or seven inches down you will find four small grey wires crimped into one grey wire. You should check for corroded connection there. They may look connected but most probably are corroded and making bad contact. In my case it was another group of wires in the same location. My idiot lights AND my Tach lights all have an Orange w/Green stripe wire, again three of these run down about seven inches and are crimped into one. This is where problem was. I cut and re-spliced them together and BINGO all lights work!  I just fixed this problem this week.  Good Luck :banana:
75 Kawi F7 175 / 1975 thru 1982
86 Honda TLM 200 / 1986 thru 2001
96 Suzuki Bandit 600S / June 2005 (still got it)
06 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Offline wndrr

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2005, 01:33:39 PM »
:banana: Ratbike the II is now up and running after fixxing the wires and replacing a fues  :banana:
97 B12
84 Shadow 700