Author Topic: clutch?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline duck

• TURBO TYPER!
clutch?
« on: February 01, 2006, 03:07:03 PM »
hey all, yet another problem has cropped up. :sad:
starting to get a little nervous as it's going on a euro tour in just under 3 months.

when i release the clutch lever it takes a second for the lever to return when it should just pop back quickly. the best way i can explain it is it's like a ' soft eject ' on a tape deck. could this be the springs or something more sinister? i've lubed the cable and it make no difference.

any possible solution please, what would i do without this site :wink:

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
clutch?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:53:52 PM »
Does the clutch work ok? How many miles? Maybe there is a kink in the clutch cable. I'd tank the tank off and see if the cable is kinked. Try using the clutch with the tank off and no obvious kinks in it. IF it's still doing it, it may be half broken inside the cable housing and the strands from the cable are slowing down the return rate. I'd replace the cable to be sure if it doesn't work after the kinks and tank are off.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
clutch?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »
Just because you lube the cable doesn't mean it isn't frayed inside.  Disconnect the cable from the clutch and check it for resistance.
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline duck

• TURBO TYPER!
clutch?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 04:55:55 PM »
it's a 95'  600 and has done 15000 miles. it's not my bike but my friends and he's in a terminal state of worry about whether it'll make a 4000 mile trip and it's driving me nuts as bandits are bulletproof.
We've been going over the bike and lubed the cable a few weeks ago and straight away after when it was pushed in gear (first time he'd ever pushed it in gear i must add) with the clutch in it was still engaged. full adjustment everywhere made no difference. It turn out the plates were sticking a little and after the engine was warmed up it was ok He says the clutch was slipping a little a couple of weeks ago and has since adjusted it and now today this...

Do you think it's likely to be the cable? if not what else? we'll check the cable and see what we find

Offline duck

• TURBO TYPER!
clutch?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 05:07:05 PM »
oh yeah and the clutch works ok

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
clutch?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 04:33:41 PM »
Well unless he's a drag racer I'd guess that the clutch is probably fine. If you want to be really sure just order a new clutch cable and stick it on there. If the clutch cable is broken inside it will gradually get longer and longer as the strands fray inside. That may explain why you can't adjust it any further. Or alternativly, he over adjusted the clutch.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline duck

• TURBO TYPER!
clutch?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 04:47:12 PM »
he's undone the cable near the sprocket and it's still quite stiff so it looks like that could be it...fingers crossed

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
clutch?
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 02:19:54 PM »
Based on your description it sounds like a clutch cable issue...

But, I would dismantle the lever, clean, lube and adjust it first. IE: if you or your buddy starting tightening some bolts, you may have the lever itself too tight. Also, check the lower end lever assembly. On the 2G 600 this is on the countershaft sprocket cover. If it is bent or clogged with dirt/chain lube this can also be your problem. If you disconnect the clutch cable at both ends, you can determine if it is the cable. You should have almost NO drag on a good cable.

Your going to have to do this work to replace the cable anyway, so cheaper to do it first.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline duck

• TURBO TYPER!
clutch?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 02:43:17 AM »
All done. It was the cable, fitted a new one yesterday and it's all smooth and springy again  :grin:

While i'm here are there any known faults/niggles with this bike, apart from consumables  :stickpoke:

Offline Jacknife

• Board Homesteader!
clutch?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 03:02:40 PM »
Is it a UK spec bike?
99' B6

Offline duck

• TURBO TYPER!
clutch?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 07:31:07 AM »
yes it's a UK bike

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
B6
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 03:05:33 PM »
These bikes are very bullet proof.  If you're going on a long ride you may want to bleed the brakes for top performance.  My rear brake seems to need a good bleeding at least once a year.  Other than that, ride on!

Offline duck

• TURBO TYPER!
clutch?
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 04:25:54 PM »
good call, fingers crossed the ol' banditos will make it