Author Topic: Bandit Maintenance for the Over-50 Crowd  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Bandit Maintenance for the Over-50 Crowd
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
In the past couple weeks, el bandido's odo rolled from 49K to 52K.  (Yes, that was actualy mileage, not some sort of odo malfunction.)  The service manual gives a list of periodic inspections, but I don't recall seeing anything similar to what some auto manuals have: things that have to be done at longer intervals like 30K, 50K, 75K, etc.  So now that el bandido has its own AARP card and is considering a winter home in Florida, I'd like some advice on what needs to be done and what to plan for/watch for.

2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Bandit Maintenance for the Over-50 Crowd
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »
Sven.... firstly, congrats on hitting the 50K mark  :thumb:..... 

One great thing about the Bandit is there's just not much to do beyond regular maintenance.  Aside from oil/filter changes, air filter changes, tires, chain/sprockets, spark plugs, brake pads and valve adjusts I wouldn't worry a whole bunch unless something breaks.

If you're really looking for stuff to do then I'd consider new fork oil, brake fluid & clutch fluid at the top of the list.  Inspect your wheel bearings (front & rear - don't forget there's an extra set in the rear IIRC) and your swing arm bearings.  Swing arm bearings will likely need repacking at a minimum depending on how much rain you ride in.  Steering head bearings are good to check as well, however you'll usually notice if they're shot before they need replacing.

Grease/Lube all pivot points... levers, kickstand, centerstand, etc.  If you haven't replace your brake/clutch lines I'd add to the list for a future mod.  Other than that, watch for clutch slippage or cam chain noise (worn out tensioner) but don't worry or obsess over either one... they'll happen when they're ready.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:26:32 PM »
cam chain noise (worn out tensioner) but don't worry or obsess over either one

Had that inspected by the chimps at the dealer a couple months ago...it must have been in good shape since they asked if I had already replaced it.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:52:14 PM »
If you do an "average" amount of clutch use, expect a new clutch soon.  If you do a lot of highway miles with not much clutch use, it'll last longer.  But it seems pretty typical for clutches to start slipping a little at ~50-60K mile mark.

IIRC, the maintenance schedule is in the owners manual, not the service manual, but in either case, once you reach the limits of the chart, just start over.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)