Author Topic: Suzuki "low performance" underseat tray.  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Suzuki "low performance" underseat tray.
« on: March 29, 2005, 12:35:52 AM »
On a recent ride with Red01 I learned much to my horror that I had never received the underseat tray and two rubber stand offs for my seat with my bike. I immediately ordered the parts from a local dealer (38 dolla ouch ouch). They came in and I eagerly installed them. I discovered that the vibration the seat was providing my butt with is noticibly reduced, YES!

The tray was another matter. I had to scrunch my breather tube way off the side, but it fit after a little wrangling. The clips on the tray that go around the frame cross member almost fouled my accessory relay (the one for my heated grips and elect. vest). The worst part was that small vertical section at the front. That thing just looked like a place to drop stuff into and it almost entirely blocked off my snorkel! (I remember Manny saying once that he could not properly orient his snorkel 'cos there was no room - now I understand) Anyways I tried the bike with the tray in place with my snorkel out, ran OK just milk toast throttle response, a definate low permormance modification.

Sooooo, I did what any home handyman would do. Got out the Makita circular saw and cut the dangling section off of the tray, patched it up with duct tape (nothing but the finest!!!), reinstalled the snorkel in the secret "velocity stack" configuration and put the tray back in.

The results are gratifying, the bike once again tugs greedily at my arms when I twist the wick and I now have a custom modified, high performance, underseat tray.

Steve  :bigok:   :banana:  :banana:   :bigok:
Primer Grey b12S

Offline B12MoJo

• Board Regular!
Suzuki "low performance" underseat tray.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 02:05:36 AM »
Pics/details on your 'breather tube' please!  :)

I'd like to build a air/oil seperator for my bandit, but just haven't gotten to it quite yet.

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
nothin fancy...
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 05:34:03 AM »
I just don't like having my bike inhale breather grunge (or have fresh air mixed exhaust either . pop pop pop ) so all I did was run some tubing from the breather nipple on the cover back to under the seat.

I used a K&N filter (normal stuff). At first I tried using the PAIR bracket under the tank but the heat from the engine produced way too much bad breath for me. I grabbed a section of hose the same diameter as the OEM stuff and spliced them using a sawed off casing from a .30-06. I routed this under the tank so it would not get pinched and back to the filter.

It works good for me, you can't see it. Only smell it on a very hot day when at a stop, and the bike idles and runs smoother. I am not feeding watery crap back into my intake.

If you look at the snorkle you can see that it sticks out farther to the rear of the bike than normal. I had to cut the tray to allow continued use of the snorkel in this position.

Love it.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S