Author Topic: The 2 best places for jet kits, and exhausts....  (Read 38147 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
The 2 best places for jet kits, and exhausts....
« on: August 18, 2005, 08:28:06 AM »
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/

http://www.holeshot.com

Both places are small shops, operated by enthusiasts....with good customer support.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline jesjames9598

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 06:56:10 AM »
yes yes and yes.

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 12:47:26 PM »
what about us Eurotrash?
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 09:49:16 PM »
They'll sell kits to you, too. :monkeymoon:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 10:03:15 PM »
The Ivan's kit gets my thumbs up!!  Plus I hear ALOT of good things about Dale (holeshot).
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 07:53:02 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
They'll sell kits to you, too. :monkeymoon:

And here I thought that my only option was that wonderful company called DynoJetalotandalotandalot. :stickpoke:
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 07:27:30 PM »
Go with Holeshot Performance.  Dale Walker seems to think it is his job to take care of his customers and he is very good at it.  Very unusual in this day and age - but very nice!  I would recommend him highly without reservation.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline jkupp2000

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:42:35 PM »
first i want to say hi and that this is my first bike its a 97 bandit 600 that i picked up for only 800 bucks its in very good shape but it needs a new jet kit at least thats what iv been told by my boss (who is the same guy i bought it from) he put a slip on tip and k&n air intake cones, but my Q is i looked at http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/bandit600.htm and it says its for 2000& up are there any other places that sell jet kits for the later models?
thanks

Offline LensWork

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~lenswork/
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 04:22:10 PM »
Quote from: jkupp2000
are there any other places that sell jet kits for the later models?
thanks

http://holeshot.com/
Thanks,

Mike
LensWork

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 08:12:59 AM »
Drill out the air/fuel screw caps and set the screws to 2.5 turns out (may have to turn them out a little more for best tune) . Mine were set bad at the factory, from almost closed to two turns out. Set them all the same. Then get some washers from radio shack and shim the needles. I'd just get two #100 main jet and put them in 1 and four, two and three have 100's already. That will cost you about $20 for the two jets and bag of washers.

Thats just my 2cents,....hope it helps
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline jkupp2000

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 08:31:22 PM »
hey chupacabra would that be as good as just getting a new jet kit

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 07:31:08 AM »
I've never bought a kit for my B6 so I can't say. I already had a K&N and a advance and some shims so all I needed was jets. I don't know of a kit for the B6 the comes with needles and that was the only other thing that could help. I noted what size jets came with the kits I could find and went with just getting some jets. I don't think a kit would be any diffrent but then again I cant say, I've never tried one.

I have bought kits for other bikes that came with all the parts I wanted and needed, but I had every thing but jets for my B6 or I would have got a kit. So not saying kits are bad, just saying I didn't need one.

Also I have only a drop in filter not pods so my jet changes were very small, like a stage1, I haven't looked into stage2 or stage3 kits, maybe those have needles.

I'm not a super tuner, just sharing what I did.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 11:56:48 PM »
Quote from: "chupacabra"
Drill out the air/fuel screw caps and set the screws to 2.5 turns out (may have to turn them out a little more for best tune) . Mine were set bad at the factory, from almost closed to two turns out. Set them all the same. Then get some washers from radio shack and shim the needles. I'd just get two #100 main jet and put them in 1 and four, two and three have 100's already. That will cost you about $20 for the two jets and bag of washers.

Thats just my 2cents,....hope it helps

Pretty sad that your bike came with those crummy settings! But, what the hey - we can feex them, no? You seem to have a running start on this problem already.

Just for the record, the '99 B12 came with the following size jets: Main: #102.5, Pilot: #37.5, Pilot screw: "Pre-Set" (whatever that means). Having done some rejetting before, it turns out that these jet size specs are just "jumping-off" points (baseline settings) and there's usually a lot to be gained by the do-it-yourselfer in the way of HP, economy, and rideability. Mikunis are easy to work on and parts are readily available. Good books are also available on Mikunis.

Since the engine runs lean on both ends of the RPM spectrum, it pays to retune for better rideability by correcting the A/F ratio off idle with the pilot screws and by trying different pilot jet sizes and by improving the air and fuel delivery at the high end, starting with a Pingel shutoff valve in the tank. The stock shutoff doesn't flow enough at high RPM's. Then make sure there's enough air up there as well by yanking out the snorkel and/or making the 2"x2" mod to the airbox (pod filters look cool but aren't so great in the rain). If all this is done right, you probably won't need the Radio Shack washers.

You suggest using the same main jets on all 4 carbs. I seem to get better results by making the center cylinders one jet size bigger (richer) since the centers on air-cooled engines run hotter than the outer cylinders. You may want to experiment by buying 3 different sets of mains, starting with the size just above stock and getting bigger.

While an air/fuel meter would be nice, I want some day to get a set of thermocouples and a 4-channel meter so I can do some dynamic testing of the exhaust gas temps. Using EGT's would allow me to rejet until each cylinder is delivering the same torque under WOT. It's also possible to compensate for mechanical and wear differences this way on older engines. There's a few tenths to be gained there, I think. The idea is to get all four cylinders to do the same amount of work.

Anyway, I'm prolly preaching to the choir here. Good luck!

Herb

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
Already started looking at exhaust options and figured I would go with the Yosh system, but after seeing that high-mount Holeshot I think I'm in love....nice.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline wedge98

• Board Regular!
    • http://mybandit1200s.googlepages.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 09:45:34 AM »
I've done my fair share of jet kit work on a zx9r and I'll be doing some work soon on my new 02 B12.

If you just want to improve the ride of the bike then go for the basic stage 1 drop in which really means new jets, carb sync, and possibly new needles or at least shimmed needles.

If on the other hand you want every ounce of power you can get out of the bike then you need to go for a stage 2 or 3 kit. Once you go above a stage one you generally need to get a higher flow air filter(K&N or BMC), exhaust(slip or full system), and for the B12 a timing advance kit.

holeshot looks to have done a lot of work on the B6 and B12 so if you want to go all out then they would be a good choice. On the other hand if you just want a stage 1 kit then  you may do just as well going with someone besides holeshot. I've used a Factory jet kit and they are so/so. I'm personally going to purchase a lot from holeshot next month to get my new bike running better and hopefully improve the fuel economy.
Bikes:
2002 Suzuki GSF1200S
2000 Suzuki TL1000R
1996 Kawasaki KDX250