Author Topic: Headlight assembly broken/2003 gsf1200s HELP!!  (Read 4599 times)

Offline android12

• TURBO TYPER!
Headlight assembly broken/2003 gsf1200s HELP!!
« on: July 27, 2013, 02:10:20 AM »
For S models only. Looking for ideas here. The headlight lamp of my low beam has broken at the stem. The part that attaches to bulb and retaining clip. The lowest Ive found the headlight assembly is $340 on partzilla. I don't see any easy way of re-attaching it. Thinking about just using high beam or swapping low and high bulbs?? But then the low beam lamp will be rattling around.  Replacing entire headlight assembly not in my budget right now. Any ideas Id appreciate! Seems kind of weak assembly to begin with for Suzuki only 30k on bike.
Thanks for any advice!
'03 b12s Holeshot 17" comp 1 slip on, 5 deg timing adv, and stage 1 jet kit
'06 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT

Offline MacMcMacmac

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Re: Headlight assembly broken/2003 gsf1200s HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:49:40 AM »
Do you have the headlight assembly out and apart? If not, I would do that first, as the projector assemblies are held in place with four screws that pass through a steel plate. I am thinking the screws have backed out or stripped out of the zinc projector mounting plates allowing the whole shebang to flop around loose inside the headlight housing.

If so, this should be an easy fix. Just drill out the holes and pass a bolt though them, then snug them up with lock nuts or apply some red Loctite to the threads and be done with it. I had my headlight assembly completely apart a few weeks ago as I could feel the low beam projector was starting to loosen up. I just followed the headlight removal and disassembly instructions found in a few places on the net (probably here now that I think of it) and it came apart easily. I noticed that the infamous black dust problem was beginning in the low beam side. It looks like the zinc projector housing frets up against the steel plate and dust from the zinc particles gets spread around the whole headlight. My remedy was to make hard rubber backing pads out of 1/8" thick hard red rubber gasket material and tighten the screws back up tightly once it was all assembled. This should absorb the many wonderful buzzes which plague our bikes. I found putting two-sided rubber tape all along the outer edges of the windshield before I put it all back together again killed 95% of the buzzing, and my windshield doesn't vibrate madly up and down at low revs anymore. I removed the blockers while I was at it, and installed 9011, 9012 bulbs. There is a lot more light now, but the beam quality still sucks, and it seems to be all over the place. I have ordered a cheap HID upgrade kit to see if I can get the light I want out of this assembly. Naturally, I will probably have to take it all apart again and put the blockers back in...

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:00:48 AM by MacMcMacmac »

Offline android12

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
Hey thanks a lot Mac! Im going to take it off this winter and look at it. I can ride for now with low beam somewhat set.
'06 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline android12

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »
Very good sir! Just pm'd him thanks for that!
'06 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT