Author Topic: Sidestand bolt snapped  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Robbieukb12

• Board Homesteader!
Sidestand bolt snapped
« on: September 17, 2005, 04:26:53 PM »
Hi guys its been a while since my last post but i've been busy burning rubber :bigok:
Anyway i parked my bike up yesterday when i went to the shops put the sidestand down, got off and then the bike nearly hit the deck i just managed to keep the thing up it was that close the footpeg was touching the floor.
Anyway once i got it up on the centre stand i examined what had happened, only the damn side stand bolt had sheered off and the sidestand was lying there on the floor.
I was mortified that such an important part had failed after such little use so i headed straight to the the dealer who really did'nt seem to give a s**t but told me that a new bolt was only £2.50, now the bike is only an 02 with 11,000m  on the clock ok the warrenty has ran out but i said i want Suzuki to pay for it because this should never fail no matter how old the bike is he said "nah dont think so not for a bolt" so i called Suzuki GB and thay said that the dealer would have to contact them and put a technical report in then they would investigate it and then they would maybe consider contributing to the cost. :banghead:
What a complete pain in the arse i asked the dealer if he had one in stock and what a suprise that he said no it will take a couple of days to get one.
Has anyone else had a sidestand fail on them?
I dont know if i'm over reacting but this does seem like a big deal to me i keep thinking what could have happened it i'd have walked away and the bike to have gone over :crybaby:

Robbie
Robbie
2002 B12s
Ivan's jet kit
Scorpion exhaust

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Sidestand bolt snapped
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 04:46:41 PM »
Haven't heard of that, Robbie.  I'd make the dealer write a technical report.....just for the hassle value! :roll:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
Sidestand bolt snapped
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 06:48:12 PM »
:shock:
   I never considered the potential for that bolt to fail...yet I sure do rely on it to hold up the B12 day after day...WOW!
If you have a chance to run into town and you have a spare couple of bucks, grab a grade 8 bolt to take the old ones place.  (Don't know if the stocker is grade 8 or not, but I'm guessing NO)
Those stealership- people are your buddy when your buying a bike or gear, but when you show up with a warranty claim or question...suddenly YOUR a leper.  Those vegetable munching/gas pass'n/tofu eat'n/tree hug'n/bastages!!  (sorry I got off the subject :duh: )
Anyway, great save!  Glad it did'nt get scraped up, I'll be changing mine out.  Thanks for the heads-up! :thanks:
I was drinking at the time...so ya, I mighta said that.
IT'S ONLY FUNNY TILL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE...Then hey! There's a free eye out there!
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun

Offline bgrundy

• Board Homesteader!
Sidestand bolt snapped
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 10:47:16 PM »
Twenty odd years of riding and I've never seen that happen.  Wow.  Ironic that parked up on the sidestand is when we like the think our bikes are SAFE.

I know it's easy to say from here, but I'm with PeteSC.  I'd make 'em do a writeup.  At the very least it creates a paper trail for other's who might have the problem.  And the dealer at LEAST owes you that!

Ride (and park) safe!

Barry

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
bolt
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 02:55:39 PM »
I've never heard of a sidestand bolt breaking.  Probably a bad bolt that snuck past a supplier's quality control.  As long as you caught the bike and it didn't get anymore damaged I'd probably leave it at that.  Like the previous post said, buy a good quality grade 8 bolt at a hardware store, put a dab of grease on it, and call it good.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Sidestand bolt snapped
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 03:36:57 PM »
I'd replace it with a stainless steel one from a hardware store.  

Much sturdier.

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
Sidestand bolt snapped
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 04:24:58 PM »
Yeah I'd go grade 5 or stainless.  Grade 8 is too hard for side load applications.  They do not bend but will shear pretty easily.  Grade 5 and stainless will just bend slightly but shouldn't sheer under the same load.
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Sidestand bolt snapped
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 07:13:55 PM »
Quote from: "chevsuz12"
Yeah I'd go grade 5 or stainless.  Grade 8 is too hard for side load applications.  They do not bend but will shear pretty easily.  Grade 5 and stainless will just bend slightly but shouldn't sheer under the same load.

Sorry, but I just GOTTA call :bs: on this common misconception!

A Grade 8 bolt not only has a higher tensile strength, it has a higher shear strength than a Grade 5, too.

Check this out.  :grin:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Sidestand bolt snapped
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 07:28:18 PM »
One other thing, metric bolts have a slightly different grading system, so they don't come in "Grade 8" but their system is similar in that a higher grade bolt is stronger in every way to a lower grade bolt.

At $2.96 for the OEM sidestand bolt, I'd probably just bite the bullet and order it since it is a shoulder bolt and not likely something you're gonna find at the local hardware store and probably not even at a fastener specialty store either.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
Sidestand bolt snapped
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 01:06:34 AM »
I stand corrected! Excellent article by the way.
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline Robbieukb12

• Board Homesteader!
Sidestand bolt snapped
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 02:33:02 PM »
Hi thanks for all your reply's yes i was lucky enough to catch it on the way down but it was close, i now have forearms the size of Popeye's :winner:
I did go and order the bolt from the dealer even though he didn't exactly help me out it was £2.70(pounds) in the end. I did consider looking around for a stronger bolt but as Red said it's a shoulder bolt not somthing most hardware stores have around.
I have just finished putting it in, a little tricky lining the bolt up and holding the sidestand with the springs on but got there in the end. I did fit it and then try to stretch the springs on but gave up :taz:  and did it the other way instead.

I must admit i dont think i'll be using it much glad i've a centre stand.

Thanks

Rob
Robbie
2002 B12s
Ivan's jet kit
Scorpion exhaust