Author Topic: What are those 1/4" hoses between #1&2/3&4 carb  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
What are those 1/4" hoses between #1&2/3&4 carb
« on: April 30, 2005, 03:29:07 AM »
These hoses are unfiltered, (wide open) pointing straight up, they look to tee off to the float bowls. I blew into the fuel supply hose and it was vented thru these hoses. 98 b12. Man where i park there is more dust than in iraq most days! One last question which i hope some one has wisdom to answer. Why is it i sat at 4 different traffic lights that couldn't tell i was there, (1:30am) with no one in sight, But a few miles from my home radar could tell i was doing 11miles over the posted limit! 35 mph limit!!! I got a warning.   :banana:  :motorsmile:

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 01:55:15 PM »
Howdy,
They are vent hoses that route to the top of the air box and stay wide open. This allows fuel to displace the area that air used to occupy. I removed mine and turned the nipples at the carbs down. There was a discussion on the best thing to do here in the past on the Bandit list. Leaving them there is just fine.

Lights are triggered from the metal on the car. There is a wire in the ground that senses ferrous materials. Your bike doesn't have enough to trigger it - just another way that the DOT ignores bikes. Put it in neutral when you stop and put your kickstand down directly on the tar strip that covers the wire. Works every time. Don't get out of gear until you're sure the louse coming up behind you sees you!

As for radar, a bike has a large crossection so there's plenty of opportunity for a radar burst to reflect back to the gun. Other than to buy a Corvette, there's not much you can do to reduce the radar section.

That's my opinion - sticking to it.
Marc/Atlanta
'99 Bandit

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 02:47:53 PM »
Quote from: "99er"
Howdy,
They are vent hoses that route to the top of the air box and stay wide open. This allows fuel to displace the area that air used to occupy. I removed mine and turned the nipples at the carbs down. There was a discussion on the best thing to do here in the past on the Bandit list. Leaving them there is just fine.

Lights are triggered from the metal on the car. There is a wire in the ground that senses ferrous materials. Your bike doesn't have enough to trigger it - just another way that the DOT ignores bikes. Put it in neutral when you stop and put your kickstand down directly on the tar strip that covers the wire. Works every time. Don't get out of gear until you're sure the louse coming up behind you sees you!

As for radar, a bike has a large crossection so there's plenty of opportunity for a radar burst to reflect back to the gun. Other than to buy a Corvette, there's not much you can do to reduce the radar section.

That's my opinion - sticking to it.
Marc/Atlanta
'99 Bandit
Hey great info! I've seen folks put the kickstand down @ stop lights "duh" i never put it together!! sounds logical! I'm a newbe to this great site, been around bikes for some time, thought the hoses would be plumbed into air box or ?? Seems like a good place for the stuff air filters are supposed to keep out, to sneak in. Turning down will help. Will do it when i tear into carbs,bike just isn't running like it should, idle or midrange. Iknow that's another chapter!!! Trying the sea foam first, quick fix's never works for me.    :thanks:

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 12:53:57 PM »
:beers:  
Thanks for the heads up on the kickstand trick. I was about to drop the $20 for one of the trafic light add on thingies to stick on the bottom of the bike.
Learn from other peoples mistakes...... or you won't be around long enough to make them all yourself!