Author Topic: what # jets do i need?  (Read 12804 times)

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
what # jets do i need?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 11:32:55 AM »
123 i see you are in toronto

planning to install a jet kit in my 02 B12

i like holeshot but don't want to install the ignition advancer
have heard many bad things about dynojets on the bandit

my choice is leaning towards ivan's

i have installed a scorpion can and dirlled out the plugs.
needs to be at 4 1/4 turns out to stop the popping and i know that's too much.

it is running rich at idle now and the plugs read just a little too lean.

i am overcompensating for lean jetting by running rich on the pilots.

i want to get it right for this season.

let us (me) know how your project goes.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
what # jets do i need?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 02:24:35 PM »
Hi Dave. I would suggest shimming the needles to fix the lean jetting rather than over compensation with the pilots. Maybe turn the pilots down to 4 turns even and shim the needles. If you just shim the needles you don't need to take the carbs off. You only have to tank the tank off, unscrew the caps and shim with radio shack shim part# 64-3022A. While this won't be as good as a Holeshot or Ivan's it will bring it closer in line with where it should be. I would not touch the airbox at all untill you get the jet kit. Be carefull when you take the carbs off there is a very teeny tiny o-ring on the front part of the carb that will get lost easily. Let me find the pics to help you. It's on blade's bandit site. I think the general concensus here is that the pilot screws on a stock bike with stock airbox are usually best set around 3.5 turns out. With your scorpion maybe 3.75 or 4 turns. 4 and 1/4 seems like alot on a stock airbox setup. If you shim your needles it will last you untill you can get a kit. PaulVS did this with good results.

As far as the advancer goes you could just not install it. Some people have done this already. Since both Ivan's and Dave's kits are basically the same price I don't see a problem with just not installing the advancer and then maybe selling it cheap to recoup some of the money.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
what # jets do i need?
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 11:34:24 PM »
Dave - I've never heard of anyone having troubles with Holeshot's advancer (I've had mine installed for 35K miles or so) - and he designs his kits to work best with one. Ivan's kits, OTOH are designed NOT to use one.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline KX5000

• Board Homesteader!
what # jets do i need?
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 09:14:15 PM »
I see socal bandit had the same problem as me. It would seem we have dynajet emulsion tubes which have a slightly smaller thread.  stupid dynajet! :monkeymoon:  :monkeymoon:  :monkeymoon:  :monkeymoon:
3 Kids
2 Dogs
1 Wife
NO problem!(yeah right!!)