Author Topic: Which rear shock option  (Read 11242 times)

Offline BanditAllan

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Which rear shock option
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 02:06:49 PM »
Greg its not a big deal really about the shocks, i spent many moons working on motocross bikes with way more sophisticated shock assys than the road bikes, so i gained a lot from that.
I will admit though, to expense yourself for a nitrogen set up just to recharge the reservoir bladders is not something most people are willing to put out money for.
What id like to know from 00Bandit600sOC is how did they mount the 05 GSXR 1000 shock in there with the battery box in the way of the integrated reservoirs position.

Offline 00Bandit600sOC

• Board Regular!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 03:19:32 PM »
Nitogen piggyback reservoir bumps into plastic battery box, you must trim 1" of box away, I'm still fine tuning it..........Also am learning how adjust new sag, compression and damping of the Showa shock....I will also be spinning the 2 lock nuts to increase pre-load..Shock was purchased form a 145 LB. Jap kid near me in Mission Viejo for $40. I am a 190 LB beer bellied 47 yr. old........ :beers:
00 B6 bandit, 05 gsxr 1000 rear Showa shock,snorkle removed,7900 mi..Vance/Hines SSR Slip-on from a ZX6R

Offline nervous

• New user!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »
An old thread.... needs updating !

My Progressive 420 started SQUEAKING heavily and I found the seal had blown out. This was within one year of purchase. I wonder whether the 420 spring... WAAYY too stiff even for my 230-pound fat body... (jar your back teeth loose when hitting a sharp freeway joint), may have been one of the causes.
I expect to have the shock rebuilt by Progressive... at a cost of about $125. Progressive does NOT have a softer spring.
I'm going to post a new thread with all the info I've gathered on this.... check the BBS board.
Stumbling across this thread as I do my spring prep I recently installed a 420 with the standard spring and my initial worries was that it was too SOFT for my 250# mass and had considered the heavy spring option. But after reading your experience I will try it for a while to see just what things feel like. Interestingly, my call to the Progressive tech folks said that there is only a minimal 10% difference between the standard and heavy spring weights. Perhaps not enough to bother with unless your at the very limits of the standard. Also, wouldn't the jarring be somewhat rectified by adjusting the damping settings?

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
let us know how that works out.
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport