Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 10551 times)

Offline maddiesdaddy1

• New user!
Headlights
« on: April 23, 2005, 12:44:31 AM »
I'm new to Sportbikes, so bear with me please. I have a brand new Suzuki Bandit 1200s; Took it to the shop yesterday to have some issues addressed, one of which regarded the headlights. Only one of the two beams are currently functioning while on low beam, and the other kicks in when switched to high beam. The "mechanic" at the bike shop said that this is a feature that is typical in many Honda sportbikes, and may very well be a function on the Bandit as well, but he could not give me an answer. I used to ride a Suzuki Intruder, so I do not know much about all of the available Sportbike Options. Any ideas?

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Headlights
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 04:18:59 AM »
That's how it works alright. I believe that the headlight is one of the most questionable items on the bike, and probably the only one that I'm really not that happy with.

To improve my visibility to others during the day I usually run on high beam, for improved night visibility I have wired up my turn signals to serve as running lights in front.

To improve my night vision I use silverstar bulbs, a high beam bulb in both locations, and have removed the diffuser from the high beam. While having the light apart I also cleaned the entire housing very well (done this twice already, what a PIA). The result is a nice bright low beam with a good cutoff, and a fairly strong high beam spot light that I focused/aimed to lay just above my low beam pattern.

That is a good as I have been able to get my lighting with the bugeye light. Others have used higher watt bulbs, I choose not to, and some have rewired to allow running both bulbs together. Maybe some will post up.

I would much prefer a Candlepower H4 headlight (that is what I use in my SR running total loss ((no battery)) and I have better lighting than the Bandit. Without some serious 'glass work I don't see fitting a H4 to the Bandit though.

Congrats on your new ride! BTW I got mine in June of '01 and I'm still in love.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Runerx

• Board Homesteader!
Headlights
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 10:46:04 PM »
Yep only one lit on low. I was told that I had a light out for the first time the other day. MANY others have said they hear this a lot. I too run highs during the day wear a flamed red helmet and have a Yellow white and black armored jacket that i wear any time i ride. I still pretend I'm invisible. Riding with a bright yellow SV last weekend both of us riding with high beams and in full daylight we almost hat a truck pull out on us from a side road. I'd swear he was looking right at me and just kept going. BTW did I mention I love the brakes on my B6?? hopefully now that its getting warmer and there are more bikes out PPl will start watching more for bikes but i won't bet my life on it.

DJ
DJ - Skin donations to the dirt/pavement gods suck!

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
Headlights
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 07:59:13 AM »
I've heard the reasoning behind the single-low-beam light is this:

Generally, you'll use the low-beam at night. Dual-low-beams at night look more like a distant car than a near bike. For the average cager, this could lead him to think he has plenty of time to complete his left turn in front of that distant car, when in fact, he is cutting right in front of a bike.

Personally, I think having nive, BRIGHT running lights would have been a better solution....

Blue Skies,
JJ
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
Headlights
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 01:16:51 PM »
I WOULD PREFER TO HAVE BOTH LIGHTS ON AT ALL TIMES.  

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN CHANGE THE BULBS TO A DUAL FILIMENT TYPE AND REWIRE THE LIGHTS TO BOTH HAVE HIGH AND LOW BEAMS?

IF YOU HAVE PART NUMBERS AND INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO THIS PLEASE POST.

THANKS...............
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Headlights
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 03:46:16 PM »
I have a naked 2003 Bandit 1200 and have tried several things to improve the lighting.  The bike has a single light and fairly good distribution, but I wanted a brighter light with the same wattage ratting (60/55W).  

I tried a Sylvania Silver Star but it failed in about 700 miles. The guys at a local MC shop said that other customers had similar failures and maybe the bulb was NOT vibration resistant.  

Finally I located a web site <www.easternbeaver.com> based in Japan, that offered a relay system to improve the lighting.  They supply a two relay system that is a plug and play installation and fits into the headlight shell along with the other wiring already there.  Only two wires go directly to the battery -- the relays use the original headlight socket to swrtch the power through larger wires and the relays directly to the headlight filaments.

My bike, before installation, had just over a 1 volt drop between the battery and the headlight contact on high beam and about 1 volt on low.
After installation the volltge drop is less than 0.09 volts in either position and the headlight is noticeably brighter even with a stock wattage anti vibration bulb.  About the same brightness as the Silver Stars in fact.

At about $50 it isn't cheap, but the results are certainly worth the expense.  Check out the web site.  Service was prompt, even from Japan I had the kit in 5 days.  Installation took 1/2 hour and the hardest part was stringing the wiring back under the tank to the battery.  

The kit is well thought out -- the fuse connector has a quick disconnect to allow connecting the fuse AFTER running the two wires undet the tank.  I was able to do this with a straighened coat hanger with some care to avoid hooking anything else under there in the process.  Then the fuse connects with a bullet connector and the two ring terminals go to the battery.  They even supplied a spare 10A fuse which is taped onto the fuse box should it ever be needed.

The web site has good explanations and even discusses higher wattage bulbs with some caveats.  All in all, good reading -- of course with the intent of selling you a relay kit.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Headlights
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 04:47:42 PM »
Quote from: "GETFURIOUS"
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN CHANGE THE BULBS TO A DUAL FILIMENT TYPE AND REWIRE THE LIGHTS TO BOTH HAVE HIGH AND LOW BEAMS?

There is no dual filament bulb that will fit the faired 2G's headlights.

I tried a Sylvania Silver Star but it failed in about 700 miles. The guys at a local MC shop said that other customers had similar failures and maybe the bulb was NOT vibration resistant.

It could be that - but if you look at the packaging on the Silverstars, you'll see the hours they are rated for is significantly less than an average OEM style bulb. 700 miles is awfully short though. I know several here are running these bulbs and get many more miles than that out of them - perhaps this was just a bad bulb?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
Headlights
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 01:40:38 AM »
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION........... :thanks:
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline trotsky

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.calicruisers.com
bulb?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 12:13:12 PM »
I'm in need of a headlight bulb for my 97 1200. Just wondering what restrcitions might prevent me getting a good piaa bulb or something really bright.

Right now I have a modulator in there, but my low beam just went out. I was gonna get a regular bulb from kragen or something, but figure I might as well get a good one.

Any suggestions?
'97 1200SA Black
Holeshot Stage 1
Yoshi RS3
www.calicruisers.com

Offline Banditboy600

• Board Homesteader!
Headlights
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »
tried a Sylvania Silver Star but it failed in about 700 miles. The guys at a local MC shop said that other customers had similar failures and maybe the bulb was NOT vibration resistant.

So far I have 6K miles on my two Sylvania Silver Stars and knock on wood, still functioning like new.
Kevin R
'02 Bandit 600S (sold)
'05 FZ1 silver

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: bulb?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 07:31:37 PM »
Quote from: "trotsky"
I'm in need of a headlight bulb for my 97 1200. Just wondering what restrcitions might prevent me getting a good piaa bulb or something really bright.

Right now I have a modulator in there, but my low beam just went out. I was gonna get a regular bulb from kragen or something, but figure I might as well get a good one.

Any suggestions?

The limiting factor is the stock wiring harness. To run something REALLY bright (100w or greater), you need to run the light off a relay.

OTOH, a relay is a good idea for any lighting upgrade (even a stock bulb) as it gets more voltage to the bulb.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Headlights
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 09:48:53 PM »
Here's something new I ran across the other day.

Click here for a bugeye headlight transplant
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Headlights
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 04:39:32 AM »
Just to let you know, I ordered a set of the replacement lights. I will keep you all posted when I get them in.

Offline naf02b12

• TURBO TYPER!
Headlight bulb replacement
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 02:08:43 AM »
Sort of different from the original topic...

I'm thinking of trying out the HIR bulbs mentioned in another thread, but noticed the wattage on the low beam is different from the stock (55W vs. 50W on the stock)  Anyone know if there would be any problem with using the higher wattage bulb?  The only extra electrical item I sometimes run on my bike are heated grip elements.  I have a 2002 1200S.

Thanks for any help.

Nerissa F.
Nerissa F.
used to have 2002 1200S - blue  :-(

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Headlights
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 08:20:33 PM »
The extra 5 watts is not a problem for you... even if you decided to add a heated jacket to the mix.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)