Author Topic: Will I be able to remove my OEM oil filter?  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
Will I be able to remove my OEM oil filter?
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
I'm getting ready to take my bike out of storage (ie. the in-laws garage) so I just picked up some oil and a K&N filter. Now the K&N filter comes with a nut on the end that will fit a 17mm wrench, but I know that the manual recommends a specific Suzuki 'oil filter tool'.

How necessary is this tool to get off the oil filter? I'd go look at my bike myself and check this out... but like I said, it's at the in-laws, and none of my photos show the oil filter very well.

2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Will I be able to remove my OEM oil filter?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 02:07:55 PM »
Not hard at all. Suzuki has a filter cap that worked well for me.
Bob
Redding, Ca.

2007 Bandit 1250S Non-ABS Black
2005 Bandit 1200S Yosh RS-3 Slipon (Wrecked!)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »
I'm getting ready to take my bike out of storage (ie. the in-laws garage) so I just picked up some oil and a K&N filter. Now the K&N filter comes with a nut on the end that will fit a 17mm wrench, but I know that the manual recommends a specific Suzuki 'oil filter tool'.

How necessary is this tool to get off the oil filter? I'd go look at my bike myself and check this out... but like I said, it's at the in-laws, and none of my photos show the oil filter very well.

If you have the K&N with the nut, you don't need the suzuki oil filter tool at all. 

However, I think you'll find it's cheaper to get the OEM Suzuki filter (I get mine for $8 shipped from www.oneidasuzuki.com ) and a $4 suzuki filter wrench then it is to pay the extra for the K&N every time.

The K&N is not any better quality than the stock suzuki filter.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/oem-oil-filter-or-wrench.html

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »

If you have the K&N with the nut, you don't need the suzuki oil filter tool at all. 

However, I think you'll find it's cheaper to get the OEM Suzuki filter (I get mine for $8 shipped from www.oneidasuzuki.com ) and a $4 suzuki filter wrench then it is to pay the extra for the K&N every time.

The K&N is not any better quality than the stock suzuki filter.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/oem-oil-filter-or-wrench.html

He has the K&N to replace the OEM filter is how I understood him. OEM filter does need a tool but the K&N will not on his next change.

Paul is right on the quality of the two filters. K&N charges extra for that nut on the end but is no better in quality then the OEM filter.
Bob
Redding, Ca.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »
am i a complete idiot by doing oil filter changes without this special 'tool'...in other words being a tool for not using one?  :lol: :lol: :lol:
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 02:42:35 PM »
To clarify... "Suzuki Oil Filter Tool" is a fancy name for an oil filter cap wrench that you can buy at almost any auto parts store for $2-$4. 

ippo

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »
Oil filters can alternate by hand.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »
Oil filters can alternate by hand.
honestly all the cars and bikes i've ever done changes on this has been my 'tool' of choice.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
Mine never turns by hand, maybe I tighten them too much ???
Bob
Redding, Ca.

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
Sorry, I could have been a bit more explicit. The filter that is currently on there is an OEM Suzuki part. This is the first time I'm changing the oil filter myself.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 06:17:10 PM »
Sorry, I could have been a bit more explicit. The filter that is currently on there is an OEM Suzuki part. This is the first time I'm changing the oil filter myself.

If you think you're gonna be sticking with the K&N filters in the future...  then I'd just jam a sharp screwdriver completely through the old Suzuki Filter to get some leverage to twist it off.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 10:51:05 PM »
Hey Barbarian

The old filter will be difficult to get off, usually the factory puts them on pretty tight.

I have a $3 strap wrench that works well, otherwise, as PaulVS said, you can always put a screw driver right through the whole filter to give you the leverage you need. I have also used a small metal chisel to work them off of bikes where you couldn't safely get a screwdriver right through.

In various times, I have also used:
a) chain wrench
b) C-Clamps
c) large channel locks
etc...
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »
Good ideas all. 

I use the Suzuki tool and it works great but it seems identical to other available tools.  Strap wrenches work too and, if you don't have one, it might be a good investment anyway.

Point of caution: Suzuki recommends that you install the filter by turning it two (2) full turns (720 degrees of rotation) after the gasket touches the base.

It would be hard, if not impossible to do that without a tool of some kind.

A leak would be a really bad thing because it would drop oil directly in front of the rear tire.

Also, if you use a K&N, it has provision for safety wire (a hole in the nut on the end) to keep it from coming loose.  I recommend that you use it.  If done well, it lends a certain "race bike" credibility and looks nice.

If you use another brand, including Suzuki, filter, put a hose clamp around it, tighten it, and safety wire the hose clamp to the frame to keep things "safe".  (that must be why they call it safety wire) 

I use stock filters with a hose clamp and safety wire with good results.

Good luck,

Dave
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline Human Potato

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 03:40:34 AM »
I used a leather strap wrench to remove mine.  I had a chain wrench but it didnt want to grip the metallic surface at all and just ended up crushing the filter.  The leather ones are cheaper anyway.

Offline GP

• Board Regular!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 12:20:22 AM »
I have grip strength from hell.. I just twist them off by hand on all my vehicles ..  :ghostrider: