Author Topic: Won't Start  (Read 7484 times)

Offline Buddha

• TURBO TYPER!
Won't Start
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:39:22 PM »
Well I can't seem to get my bike to start at all. I have the '99 600 Bandit. It ran fine for a while then I let it sit for a couple weeks and when I went back out to ride it, I couldn't get it to start. I read about the starter nut problem so I tried to check it out in the 15 spare minutes I had yesterday, but I didn't know how "loose" it would get. I took the cover off (unaware that there was actually oil in there....duhhh) and felt the nut but it wasn't loose enough I could tighten it by hand. Does anyone know how tight it is supposed to be? Can you think of any other possibilities?

It sounds like it's turning over when I try to start it, but it won't fire up. I tried putting it in gear and doing a rolling start, but I don't think I was able to get it fast enough...no hills in the area at all. I did, however, notice that with the clutch in and it in first gear, the bike rolls a little bit when you press the starter. Any ideas? I'm dieing to get back out there.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 02:52:35 PM »
Torque it to 113.5 ft lbs and use loctite.

When you tried push starting, did you try 1st? If you did, try a higher gear. 1st usually just wants to lock up the wheel. You'll have better luck with 2nd or 3rd.

It's not abnormal for a little but of a pull on the wheel with the clutch in and the bike in gear. It's also normal to see the rear wheel turn with the engine running and the bike's on the center stand.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Won't Start
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 05:00:04 PM »
Buddah bud, it must have been a lot of fun to loosen that cover and have the oil start dribbling out.  I need to replace my gasket on that cover, since I have a slow leak there, and I have been timing that to coincide with an oil change.  After all the discussion about the starter nut on this forum, I have been curious to see if the nut is loose.  So far, I haven't had the problem, but it comes up here so much, I am (sort of) glad for the opportunity to inspect it.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Won't Start
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 07:56:35 PM »
It's only been sitting a couple of weeks AND the starter is turning, for sure?

How old is the gas in the tank?  Don't know if you ride enough to empty the tank out....maybe the last time you actually filled up has been a while?

Generally, when my b12 won't start since it's been sitting for a month and half or more, fresh fuel and plugs will do it.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
Won't Start
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 08:50:13 AM »
If all else fails, check the plugs for fouling and make sure gas is getting in there.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline Buddha

• TURBO TYPER!
Won't Start
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 02:43:45 PM »
Sorry it's taken so long. I've been in a MSF class all week and haven't had time to get a torque wrench to tighten it down yet. When I first started having the problem, it sounded like it wanted to start a few times, but it sounded like it would only fire once or twice before dieing again. I really hope it is the starter nut, but I doubt that is the issue. Should the next step be to check the spark plugs? I want to say the fuel is going somewhere because I can definitely smell the exhaust, but I don't know if that really means anything.

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
Won't Start
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 04:13:31 PM »
Don't mess with the starter plug, it sounds as though the starter is turning the engine over fine.  Take your spark plugs out and clean them.  You may just be flooded or something, then fouled them.  Let it crank for a little while.  Try starting throttle on, throttle off.  

Just keep cranking until you get it.  Hook up some jumpers to your car (engine off) to get a little extra juice if your battery dies out.  Sometimes it  just takes a little extra effort.

Offline Buddha

• TURBO TYPER!
Won't Start
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 02:57:06 PM »
Well I'm gonna go ahead and make sure the bolt is tight enough as it has been sitting with the cover off waiting for it and now I have the torque wrench so I can. Once I do that I'll put it back together try to fire it up again (although I'm not expecting much) then play with the plugs. What type of oil do I need to put in it? 10W40? And is it different then car oil? This would be my first bike.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
tacoman
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 03:30:17 PM »
If you're trying to get the bike to start make sure you have enough juice.  The battery in the B6 is a small, sealed unit.  It might be bad, you can have it tested.  As for oil, 10-40w is the one.  You can get by on automotive stuff and a lot of people go with the mega-buck synthetics.  I've used regular Spectro, petro-based 10/40 with good results and the price is right.  Most dealers/accessory shops carry it.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Won't Start
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 04:22:36 PM »
From my past experience in letting my B12 sit around too much between rides.....
   Get a spare set of plugs.   You may not need them right away, but you'll have them.
   Charge the battery.   If you can buy a battery maintainer type, like a BatteryTender, that's cool, but any small battery charger will work, preferably not more than one amp.

Fresh gas doesn't hurt.    If you're in doubt of the age of the gas, or it's quality, drain the tank, and the carbs, and refill with fresh stuff.
  You can also add a little techron or carb cleaner type stuff.

For the heck of it, and for familiarisation purposes....I'd check the air cleaner.
   You'd also want to pull the plug out of the drain hose from the airbox, and let whatever is in there drain out.

If you've had the tank off the bike, maybe the hoses are on wrong?
  (Or pinched....)

I'd do all of the above, and try to start the bike.   If it doesn't start, you can check/change the plugs.

Are you using the choke?   The Bandits seem to like the choke used to start  99.9% of the time.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Buddha

• TURBO TYPER!
Won't Start
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 06:34:55 PM »
Now I could probably find it in the owner's manual somewhere, but how much oil does it need? I figured it'd be best to make sure I have enough before I attempt to fire it up.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Won't Start
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 08:50:17 PM »
A little shy of 4 quarts.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Buddha

• TURBO TYPER!
Won't Start
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 12:43:12 AM »
Dumb da dumb dumb. I'm dumb da dumb dumb duuummmbbb.

I tightened the bolt, put the cover back on, changed the oil filter while I was at it, filled the oil, and changed the spark plugs and voila. Runs like a champ now.

Offline BanditYeti

• Board Regular!
no start
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 03:21:22 PM »
I had a similar problem w/my bandit when I shipped to Italy and it sat for some time. I was indeed the spark plugs, I think you'll do well to replace them or at lease clean them well.

Good luck....Ciao

-Dale
2002 B12S