Author Topic: Unlocatable Electrical Short on Bandit 600  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Anonbandit

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Unlocatable Electrical Short on Bandit 600
« on: June 23, 2006, 08:00:10 PM »
I have a 1996 Suzuki GSF-600s Bandit, which I purchased about 3 months ago. I recently worked on the front forks, and let the bike sit for about 9 days without running the engine. I finished my work last night, and was planning on taking it for a test ride. I attempted to start the engine, it turned over, but wouldn't start. I tried this several times, after pressing the start button for about the fourth time, every light turned off then went back on, with a loud audible "click" emanating from under the seat. I pressed it again, and it went completely dead, and now nothing electrical will work. After using a voltage meter, I discovered that the battery has a complete charge when the ignition is turned to "off", but when I switch it to "on", the voltage drops to 0.00. I shorted the battery with a wire in order to test it, it sparked, and then the lights turned back on. I again attempted to press the start button, which again killed the lights and everything electrical, again with a loud audible "click" from under the seat. None of the fuses are blown, including the 30 amp main. Does anyone have ANY idea what this short might be from, and how I might locate the short?

Offline elofdahl

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/lofdahl1/03gsf1200/
Unlocatable Electrical Short on Bandit 600
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 09:24:19 PM »
You've described a common problem due to a battery cable connection that is dirty or loose.  Check both main battery cables at both ends for tightness.  The positive battery cable goes to the starter relay.  The negative battery cable goes to ground...Again, check both ends...I'd check the connections at the battery terminals first before checking the other end.
Eddie
'03 B12 S
'06 KLR 650
'07 C6 LS2 Z51 MZ6
http://www.bikepics.com/members/lofdahl1/