Author Topic: 2007 Bandit 1250 ABS: Tightening the Exhaust Header Bolts  (Read 10243 times)

billincnetraljersey

2007 Bandit 1250 ABS: Tightening the Exhaust Header Bolts
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:38:30 AM »
Per user manual maintainence schedule, The exhaust header bolts are to be check for tightness.  I don't have a torque wrench so I just turned each bolt by a tiny bit, less than 30 degrees.

I managed to get to all the bolts except the top bolts at the middle 2 cylinder.  I even removed the bottom bolt that holds the radiator.  The radiator swings forward a bit but I still cannot get to the header bolts.

Any suggestions?

-bill

Offline Frisk Fisk

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:45:31 AM »
I haven't done what you are trying to do, but.....As the first 600 mile check up (the $200 oil change) should be done by the dealer for warranty purposes, why not let his crew tighten the various bolts?  But if you want to borrow a torque wrench, I can meet you in Frenchtown some Saturday or Sunday soon and lend you one.  You can probably do the headbolts right there if you know what the torque specs are.  I can bring a few extensions if you're having trouble reaching some of the bolts.  I live near Philadelphia and its a nice ride for me.
What do we exist for but to laugh at our neighbors and be made sport of in our turn? (Jane Austin)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:35:14 AM »
Quote from: "Frisk Fisk"
As the first 600 mile check up (the $200 oil change) should be done by the dealer for warranty purposes,

For us Americans, thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, there's no reason to take it to the dealer for service for warranty purposes. All you need to do is keep records and receipts to prove you (or a shop of your choice) did the scheduled maintenance. This same act protects you from being denied a warranty claim if you've modified your bike and have problems not related to your mods.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline billincentraljersey

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:32:43 AM »
The manual only mentioned oil change and check chain tension at 600 miles.  AND check all the chassis nuts and bolts.  Is there more I need to do?  I want to avoid the $200 oil change.

-bill
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Bragging Rights:  NJ to CA in 8 Days on my B1250ABS. Not quite ADV Rider.
07 B1250ABS, 90 Kawasaki Concours, 84 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 77 Yamaha XS360, xx-77 NYC Subway

Offline billincentraljersey

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »
Thanks Frisk,

I can get hold of a torque wrench if need be.  My problem is trying to get to the top header bolts at the 2 middle cylinders, without having to remove the radiator.  Don't want to open "another project".  I always find forum people have the most innovative ideas and tricks.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Bragging Rights:  NJ to CA in 8 Days on my B1250ABS. Not quite ADV Rider.
07 B1250ABS, 90 Kawasaki Concours, 84 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 77 Yamaha XS360, xx-77 NYC Subway

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:06:11 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
As the first 600 mile check up (the $200 oil change) should be done by the dealer for warranty purposes,

For us Americans, thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, there's no reason to take it to the dealer for service for warranty purposes. All you need to do is keep records and receipts to prove you (or a shop of your choice) did the scheduled maintenance. This same act protects you from being denied a warranty claim if you've modified your bike and have problems not related to your mods.

Exactly. And if they wanna dispute my work, or my records, I can just show them my A.S.E. Master Mechanic certifications. (Red, let me save you pointing out that it's an automotive cerification... I know that, thank you.)

I haven't done my header bolts yet, I still have one arm in a sling... if you guys have any good tips I'm paying attention.  :bigok:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
Exactly. And if they wanna dispute my work, or my records, I can just show them my A.S.E. Master Mechanic certifications. (Red, let me save you pointing out that it's an automotive cerification... I know that, thank you.)

Is there even a m/c equivalent to ASE? I wouldn't have gone there anyway. I'd show them my A&P license.  :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 01:26:32 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Quote from: "ZenMan"

Is there even a m/c equivalent to ASE? I wouldn't have gone there anyway. I'd show them my A&P license.  :bandit:

There ya go... if you're qualified for aircraft I guess you can work on motorcycles, aye?  :bigok:

That's a good question. The only motorcycle certification I know of is a diploma from MMI... Motorcycle Mechanics Institute. Unless ITT has a course, or some other trade school.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 06:58:06 AM »
I haven't done what you are trying to do, but.....As the first 600 mile check up (the $200 oil change) should be done by the dealer for warranty purposes, why not let his crew tighten the various bolts?  But if you want to borrow a torque wrench, I can meet you in Frenchtown some Saturday or Sunday soon and lend you one.  You can probably do the headbolts right there if you know what the torque specs are.  I can bring a few extensions if you're having trouble reaching some of the bolts.  I live near Philadelphia and its a nice ride for me.

I never had much faith in work done at the dealer. I don't think they adjusted the valves on mine when it was new @ 600 mile check-up(98).And if there are 2 bolts that are hard to get to,I'd bet on them not getting to them either.At least when you do it yourself,you know its done.
   And it would be a good idea to borrow that torque wrench,you don't want to snap one of those off!  Dan

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
$200.00 Oil Change
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 07:35:13 PM »
I did indeed avoid that $200.00 oil change. I changed it myself. Man let me tell you it was a bugger keeping oil off that header once the oil filter was removed. If I had thought about it ahead of time I would of used some sort of small tray or something but what a mess it was. I ended up "burning" most of it off by just letting it run for a few minutes till it was all gone. It was also a bugger getting that oil filter out from between the header. The manual says to squeeze it buy the radiator hose. Yeah right....Squeeze it is right too!!!!! Any way, all is well now and the oil got changed early (about 500 miles). If any body in here has a better way, please let me know. Now I am paying attention.. Banditone1250s...
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
For the oil on the headers problem, use a plastic garbage bag, or similar.  It will form to the header shape, and it will hold anything you spill.  

Of course if your headers are good and hot,.. maybe not such a good idea. ;)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 05:39:45 AM »
You can use metal foil, just wrap it from the bottom around and back down. Oil spills on it and then just pull it off.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
Oil Change on the Bandit
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »
Chupacabra; That was an excellent idea. The tin foil I mean. I thought after I thought about some sort of tray, but hell even if that kept the oil off the header, it would still be mighty hard to get it out of there without spilling it. Thanks for the tip... Banditone1250s...
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline Camurano2

• New user!
Oil change on 1250S
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 04:33:05 PM »
Changed the oil,
Draining the oil was easy, getting the filter of was a bear.  :taz:

Did anyone notice the factory filter tells you to turn the filter twice after contact with the o-ring. (2 complete turns ?) Apparently the factory felt to.
I don't think so.

I had to use a O MY GOD strap wrench to get it off.

The factory guys told me that they let it drain on the header and then use 2 cans on electrical contact cleaner for the header. :duh:  NOT. Know wonder its $200.00

Some cardboard from a six pack and a oil diaper, kept it clean. :bandit:

Back on the road
2007 Suzuki 1250s Bandit

2005 Suzuki C50T Boulevard

Vino Bandido

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Oil change on 1250S
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »
Quote from: "Camurano2"
Did anyone notice the factory filter tells you to turn the filter twice after contact with the o-ring. (2 complete turns ?) Apparently the factory felt to.
I don't think so.

They tell you the same thing on the old 1200, too.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)