Author Topic: 600 mile service  (Read 14917 times)

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
600 mile service
« on: November 26, 2007, 01:17:11 PM »
I just called the dealer for my initial service. I was surprised when they stated it was 3 hours and $350. They said that the valves have to be adjusted, this is the reason for the 3 hours. The owners manual however doesn't show a valve adjustment until 14.5K miles if I am reading it right. Has anyone else had this experience with their initial service? The dealer said that the valves have to be adjusted every other service, but the owners manual doesn't seem to agree. Thanks for any information.
Will

Offline Heyu

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 600 mile service
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:14:04 PM »
I never took my 1250 in for any sheduled service. all I did was make sure everything was tight, Levels were full and rode I only put 7500kms on the bike this year. My valve adjustments will get done as soon as I start to hear some slap going on in the top end not before, I used to set my valves at the required intervals all the time but found that most often they were not out of spec so it was a waste of time and money.
 My dealer told me the initial sevice was 2 hours and 200$ it looks like you're dealer is trying to grab some money.

Offline Willie

• New user!
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »
Buy a filter, and the oil of your choice and do it yourself!! No need to check the valves at this point. Your gut feelings are correct. Just check all fasteners and your good to go!
Willie
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:16:39 PM by Willie »
'07 1250 Bandit (Black)
'06 650 VStrom (Blue)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:01:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies, it seems way excessive to me as well. I usualy do all of my maintenance myself, I thought I would take it in for it's first maintenenace since it's new. This is ridiculous though, I called another shop and they want $280, they also say that the valves need adjusting, the maintenance schedule just doesn't back it up though.
Will

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
My valve adjustments will get done as soon as I start to hear some slap going on in the top end not before, I used to set my valves at the required intervals all the time but found that most often they were not out of spec so it was a waste of time and money.

Problem with that is tight valves don't make noise - and that's what typically happens as the engine breaks in.
Maybe this isn't as critical on the new water-cooled 1250 engine, but the old air/oil cooled engines are notorious for getting tighter until ~15K miles, then usually staying pretty stable for the life of the engine.  While many dealers brushed off the 1200's 600 miles valve lash inspection, it should be done on them, as well as the 7500 and 15000 miles checks.  If everything's good at 15K, some consider going longer on checks.  Now, I know the 1250 has a longer inspection interval, but just thought I'd throw this out there to think about.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:43:03 AM »
I am inclined to take it in for the first service, after that I will do it myself. The only thing that bothers me is the difference between the owners manual and what the Suzuki shop is telling me about the valve adjustment. I hate to pay for soemthing that isn't required, I'm wondering if they are just looking at the 1200 guidelines?
Will

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 12:45:36 PM »
I called Suzuki customer service today to ask about the valve adjustment issue. They told me that different dealers do different things during initial maintenance checks???, but if the manual doesn't call for it then it isn't required. I have never had a dealer do anything different than what the manual called for before. It sounds to me that the dealer is looking for a quick buck and charge me 3 hours of labor for something that isn't needed. I think I will skip the valve adjustment and put the money towards something else.
Will

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:15:21 PM »
Yup. The dealer service department depends on those unneeded valve clearance checks, in fact some dealer mechanics can just listen to a new bike and determin if the clearance is OK, but they will still charge you for it. The only time I will ever let a dealer touch my bike is if it is a factory warranty repair and I have to be present when the work is done. Other then that I do all my own scheduled maintenance and document it in the service manual.
    Anyway you said you wanted to do your own work anyway so you might as well start from the beginning. Checking the valve's clearance is a good prerequisite to adjusting them and pretty simple if you handy with hand tools. If however you never have been and lack confidence, there is nothing wrong taking it to a reputable JP bike mechanic, only be very carefull with dealers. Sometimes you come out of a dealer service department with more problems then you started with.

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 01:57:40 AM »
Yes, I agree with you about dealers. With 7 bikes in the garage I have to do my own maintenance, it's the only way that I can afford to keep them! I usually like to take a new bike in for its first service at the dealer just in case. The thing that bugs me is that the dealers are trying to do something that seems not to even be required by the manufactuer. I'm just surprised that they can decide what a 600 mile check should consist of, I have never ran into this before. When I spoke to them on the phone it wasn't described as an option, it was stated that is was a requirement and this was from 2 different dealers. Only after I questioned them was I told that you didn't need to have the valves checked if you didn't want to, this saves 1.5 maintenance hours at a cost of $80 per hour. I think I will be following the guidelines in the owners manual  :wink:
Will

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 04:00:33 AM »
The dealer I bought my bike from has a generic routine they go through for EVERY bike.  same situation over 3 hours and $300.  my list includes alot of stuff that are "if applicable" which on this bike it isnt (such as carb work).  i think they just do that as a flat time/rate to cover themselves on all bikes sold even if it isnt needed.

I spent the money and bought the shop manual and just go by what suzuki states to do to the bike.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 02:18:41 PM »
+1 Purchasing a shop manual is always a good decision.

Offline Blue Racer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 06:05:09 PM »
I change my oil and filter at 600 and again at 3,000, using dino.  Again at 6,000 with Mobil 1, 15w-50.  I then change every 6-8,000 using Mobil 1.  Have done this on many machines and it works for me.  I try not to ride down the same street as my dealer..... :grin:
If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 08:54:21 PM »
Yes, I think my 1250 has seen the dealer for the last time, unless it's a warranty issue. I prefer to do my own maintenance, that way I know it's done right. I had a dealer one time forget to tighten the bolts that hold my front axle on the forks, I'm not to trusting after that! I let them do the initial service, but not the valve adjustment check. I couldn't see paying them 1.5 hours for a service that the owners manual didn't even call for. I thought my Harley dealer was bad at trying to sperate my money from me  :roll:

Will
Will

ippo

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »
Yes, I think my 1250 has seen the dealer for the last time, unless it's a warranty issue. I prefer to do my own maintenance, that way I know it's done right. I had a dealer one time forget to tighten the bolts that hold my front axle on the forks, I'm not to trusting after that! I let them do the initial service, but not the valve adjustment check. I couldn't see paying them 1.5 hours for a service that the owners manual didn't even call for. I thought my Harley dealer was bad at trying to sperate my money from me  :roll:

Will
Like here in finland.It is better that you do services youself.

Offline Grizz

• New user!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 02:24:46 AM »
  Red01 is right, tight valves do not rattle. As the valve and guide/seat wear the valve goes farther into the head, meaning less clearance. I am not saying it cant happen just that all the valves I have ever found out of adjustment were tight not loose. My bikes always make a little more noise after a valve adjustment, when they are quite I get nervous.